Claiming mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
How common is it for companies to pay mileage allowance for cycling.
Probably not to and from work , but for work related journeys ?

I only do an occasional shift for a care provider, and go round to visit people at home.
The expenses sheet says 40p per mile for car use, 25p for motorbikes and 20 for cycling.

I love getting the occasional few quid for my efforts.
Of course they're also paying wages while I pedal along.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My company pays cycling miles.

You're correct that commuting miles (to your normal place of work) are not claimable, but travel to other locations definitely is.
If I remember correctly there are some gotchas- temporary sites eventually become unclaimable if you visit them often. You can be deemed to have two places of work too, so watch out for that one. Worth a good look at the Inland Revenue rules, and KEEP RECORDS of your journeys.

Note, you can claim from the Inland Revenue if our company doesn't pay travel expenses.

Jason

My employer also pays cycling mileage via the TMC website,that I complete monthly. IT'S pretty cool that more and more employers are supporting this as a travel choice

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I do a voluntary job a few times a month and I can claim 20p/mile on the bike (or 46p/mile + parking if I drive, which I never do).

D

Deleted member 26715

I do a voluntary job a few times a month and I can claim 20p/mile on the bike (or 46p/mile + parking if I drive, which I never do).
I used to claim 46p a mile or something very close to that in the late 80's has the official HMRC rate not gone up since then? For several months I earned more in fuel allowance than I did in wages

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I used to claim 46p a mile or something very close to that in the late 80's has the official HMRC rate not gone up since then? For several months I earned more in fuel allowance than I did in wages

It has been 45p since 2012 and 40p before. If you are claiming more then in theory you should be paying tax on it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I work for a Government Agency and am only entitled to 10p per mile pedal cycle allowance for anything in addition to my normal daily commute. I get 30p per mile for motoring allowance and because the HMRC rate is 45p I claim tax releif on the 15p difference which alone totals a 3 figure sum every year. Never investigated whether you can do the same with pedal cycles, would not surprise me if you could.

D

Deleted member 26715

It has been 45p since 2012 and 40p before. If you are claiming more then in theory you should be paying tax on it.
Clearly remember it wrong then, it was 30ish years ago, I left in 1992 & had been desk jockey for the last couple of years.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No - they'll only pay you 10p p/m. You're entitled to 25p p/m and can claim the difference from HMRC.

Is it the difference or tax relief on the difference ?

Its tax relief on the difference between the HMRC national rate and your employers rate. You claim the relief from HMRC and the employers allowance from your employer. See below:

upload_2017-8-19_8-43-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-19_8-42-7.png
    upload_2017-8-19_8-42-7.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

We get 20p a mile unless you have a bike on the cycle to work scheme (in which case it's nothing!)
Is that even legal, assuming that the employee is paying for the bike & it's not been covered by the firm.

Top Bottom