1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claiming mileage

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by pjd57, 17 Aug 2017.

1. Bazzer

Bazzer Much to do and not enough hours

As @Regulator says, where you live is personal choice. Travelling to work merely puts you in a position to undertake your work, whereas relief is available for expenditure incurred in undertaking your work.

mjr likes this.
  2. Regulator

Regulator Not a SPM snowflake.

I only do it to discombobulate you.... ^_^

CrinklyLion and Drago like this.
  3. lazybloke

lazybloke Senior Member

Yes any commute from home to your usual place of work is considered personal mileage (or was when I was a mobile Tefal-head).
    It's was only unusual journeys (home to customer and back) or an onward journey from base to other location (and back) that qualified as business mileage.

Haven't done business miles for a while , but can remember various quirks of the system like HMRC could consider TWO offices to be your base location simultaneously. Nasty if you were depending on the expense claims.

4. mgs315

mgs315 Regular

Funnily enough I get funny looks for leaving the work van in the depot and cycling to/from work on my own bike when I’m perfectly entitled to take the van home and use the fuel card for it. Pay my own wear and tear on the bike, nothing on the van.

Still, gets me a bit extra exercise that day. Saves gym bashing.

5. pclay

pclay Über Member

I can claim 20p a mile from the company I work for. There is a training centre 17 miles away form where I live, that I sometime go to, so I don't mind getting paid for the privilege of cycling there and back.

6. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

My new company asked me to sign a form if I wanted to use my car for company business. Looked at the form and noticed that it also had a "bicycle" option, so ticked that one instead, and signed.
    Not used the option yet. First chance, the customer's office was so close, walking was the most sensible option. Actually it was so close I could probably have had the conversation by yelling out of the window. Confidentiality rules would have been broken, though.

Second chance - larger group and only a mile away, so we had a walk-and-talk debrief instead.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2018 at 18:28
    Drago likes this.
  7. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I must admit that if I had a job where cycle mileage was claimable and I was cycling in works time I would consider it a huge bonus and not claim a penny.

8. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I get to ride most days on company time and I wouldn't dream of claiming mileage for it.

screenman likes this.
  9. Drago

Drago Guru

I used to get paid to ride company bikes, and drag them all round southern england training others.