Claiming mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My company doesn't. However I can claim it back through HMRC, as I have to complete a tax return every year.

ricnott

Is that even legal, assuming that the employee is paying for the bike & it's not been covered by the firm.

Isn't this around the fact that that until you pay the final market value payment for the bike your employer owns it and you are leasing it form them and as such no mileage can be claimed as you are not using your own vehicle and are receiving a benefit in kind with the tax saving?

My company pays cycling miles.

You're correct that commuting miles (to your normal place of work) are not claimable, but travel to other locations definitely is.
If I remember correctly there are some gotchas- temporary sites eventually become unclaimable if you visit them often. You can be deemed to have two places of work too, so watch out for that one. Worth a good look at the Inland Revenue rules, and KEEP RECORDS of your journeys.

Note, you can claim from the Inland Revenue if our company doesn't pay travel expenses.

Is there a logical reason why you cant claim for the regular commute? You need to be at work, and you need to get there. It costs both time and money to commute, time that is not compensated for but should be IMO.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do know one co-op which paid the motoring rate for cycling because they don't agree with paying more for motoring. They said they'd write it off as good publicity if HMRC challenges them for it :laugh:
At one point Bristol City Council used to pay an almost similar rate for cycling and cars, but then they chopped the cycle mileage rate in half to the normal rate:angry:.

Drago

Legendary Member
At one point Bristol City Council used to pay an almost similar rate for cycling and cars, but then they chopped the cycle mileage rate in half to the normal rate:angry:.

That backward. They should chop the car rat in half, encourage some folk on to their bikes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That backward. They should chop the car rat in half, encourage some folk on to their bikes.

Car rat?

rats.jpg

mustang1

Guru
The company should pay a fixed amount for distance the it should be up to the person to use whatever is appropriate.

If the company has different tiers for cycles, motorcycles, cars and so on, then they need to have something for gas guzzler cars too.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Is there a logical reason why you cant claim for the regular commute? You need to be at work, and you need to get there. It costs both time and money to commute, time that is not compensated for but should be IMO.

As @User says, where you live is personal choice. Travelling to work merely puts you in a position to undertake your work, whereas relief is available for expenditure incurred in undertaking your work.

Reactions: mjr

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yes any commute from home to your usual place of work is considered personal mileage (or was when I was a mobile Tefal-head).
It's was only unusual journeys (home to customer and back) or an onward journey from base to other location (and back) that qualified as business mileage.

Haven't done business miles for a while , but can remember various quirks of the system like HMRC could consider TWO offices to be your base location simultaneously. Nasty if you were depending on the expense claims.

mgs315

Funnily enough I get funny looks for leaving the work van in the depot and cycling to/from work on my own bike when I’m perfectly entitled to take the van home and use the fuel card for it. Pay my own wear and tear on the bike, nothing on the van.

Still, gets me a bit extra exercise that day. Saves gym bashing.

pclay

Veteran
I can claim 20p a mile from the company I work for. There is a training centre 17 miles away form where I live, that I sometime go to, so I don't mind getting paid for the privilege of cycling there and back.

Top Bottom