1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claiming mileage

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by pjd57, 17 Aug 2017.

1. sleuthey

sleuthey Über Member

Its tax relief on the difference between the HMRC national rate and your employers rate. You claim the relief from HMRC and the employers allowance from your employer. See below:

upload_2017-8-19_8-43-12.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: 19 Aug 2017
    classic33 and pjd57 like this.
  2. RichK

RichK Veteran

We get 20p a mile unless you have a bike on the cycle to work scheme (in which case it's nothing!)

Mort likes this.
  3. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

Is that even legal, assuming that the employee is paying for the bike & it's not been covered by the firm.

4. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

That's uncharacteristivally generous of HMRC, not reducing the bike rate if you go over 10,000 miles a year.

NorthernDave, Drago and BrumJim like this.
  5. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

My company doesn't. However I can claim it back through HMRC, as I have to complete a tax return every year.

6. OP
    OP
    pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

30 miles around Glasgow today.
    Deduct the nonsensical " home to office " bit .( I start and finish at home and don't go near any office)
    20×20p = £4.

classic33 and Drago like this.
  7. ricnott

ricnott Well-Known Member

Isn't this around the fact that that until you pay the final market value payment for the bike your employer owns it and you are leasing it form them and as such no mileage can be claimed as you are not using your own vehicle and are receiving a benefit in kind with the tax saving?

Drago likes this.
  8. RideLikeTheStig

RideLikeTheStig Über Member

Is there a logical reason why you cant claim for the regular commute? You need to be at work, and you need to get there. It costs both time and money to commute, time that is not compensated for but should be IMO.

9. The NHS does. I used to claim cycle mileage when on-call and when I travelled between buildings for meetings.

20p per mile

http://www.nhsemployers.org/tchandb...ce/section-17-reimbursement-of-travel-costs-1

10. Regulator

Regulator Not a SPM snowflake.

Well, if you think about it, why should someone who's chosen to live 50 miles away from work in a nice big country house have their choice subsidised by the taxpayer?

11. Drago

Drago Guru

@Regulator. Will you please stop saying sensible things that I agree with. Its very disconcerting. Thank you ;)

12. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

At one point Bristol City Council used to pay an almost similar rate for cycling and cars, but then they chopped the cycle mileage rate in half to the normal rate:angry:.

Drago likes this.
  13. Drago

Drago Guru

That backward. They should chop the car rat in half, encourage some folk on to their bikes.

theclaud and summerdays like this.
  14. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Car rat?

rats.jpg

BrumJim, Drago and mjr like this.
  15. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

The company should pay a fixed amount for distance the it should be up to the person to use whatever is appropriate.

If the company has different tiers for cycles, motorcycles, cars and so on, then they need to have something for gas guzzler cars too.

summerdays likes this.