Clapham Road, Caldwell Street. Oddness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

At about 8.45 I was riding north to the lights with Caldwell street, which is a popluar RLJ junciton as there's quite a long traffic phase before traffic is released from Caldwell Street, (I've been guilty of this myself).

This morning on the approach I could hear a lady shouting 'red light red light'

When I got pulled up there was a lady in a cycling kit holding a home made sign. She was kind of a self appointed Lollypop lady telling off RLJers and thanking people who stopped, while ensuring kids got across the road safely.

Fair play to her I say, odd sight but a great example of a community taking care of its own safety.

This is after I'd decided to slow down after I swore at a driving instructor who peeped at me to move out of primary a bit further down the road.

ChrisKH

Guru
Had to cycle between City and Barking station on Friday night as trains were out. Actually I quite enjoyed it, but for the lights. There are just so many and I can understand (although not condone) why they jump them. Especially the pedestrian ones.

I also got a moaning cab driver who disliked me taking primary in the bus lane.

wanda2010

Guru
ChrisKH said:
Had to cycle between City and Barking station on Friday night as trains were out. Actually I quite enjoyed it, but for the lights. There are just so many and I can understand (although not condone) why they jump them. Especially the pedestrian ones.

I also got a moaning cab driver who disliked me taking primary in the bus lane.

Lots of cabbies have a problem with this, unfortunately. Shaving my right leg is a favourite of theirs:sad:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Fair play to her.
I've said before on here that in my opinion people now use red as "prepare to stop", and amber as "might want to put your foot down to make sure you get across".

Blackandblue

There's a crowd of mums that gather there from time to time. Sometimes they even hand out badges exclaiming "I stop at red lights". It's a key crossing for kids on a school run and there have been a few accidents in the past.

Origamist

Legendary Member
As someone who has hit a child at this very location, I'd recommend being extra cautious - diligently check for children trying to cross the road and slow down.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Blackandblue said:
There's a crowd of mums that gather there from time to time. Sometimes they even hand out badges exclaiming "I stop at red lights". It's a key crossing for kids on a school run and there have been a few accidents in the past.

I'm assuming this lady was a mum doing her bit for the campaign. If they're there again I may suggest that they post about it here and on BR.

As I say it's a tempting RLJ junction which I've jumped a couple of times before. ;)

Jezston

Über Member
scouserinlondon said:
At about 8.45 I was riding north to the lights with Caldwell street, which is a popluar RLJ junciton as there's quite a long traffic phase before traffic is released from Caldwell Street, (I've been guilty of this myself).

This morning on the approach I could hear a lady shouting 'red light red light'

When I got pulled up there was a lady in a cycling kit holding a home made sign. She was kind of a self appointed Lollypop lady telling off RLJers and thanking people who stopped, while ensuring kids got across the road safely.

Fair play to her I say, odd sight but a great example of a community taking care of its own safety.

That sounds great, and the handing out of badges to those who do stop makes it all nice and fun rather than confrontational. I'd love to see this take off.

Top Bottom