Claris Front Derailleur High Limit Screw not functioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corpion

So when i am in the outer cog in front and the smallest cog in rear i realized that my chain is rubbing. I tried to screw it all the way in and out but as you can see in picture#1 it doesn't touch so it doesn't work. When i pull the derailleur with my hand it doesn't touch to the chain anymore but bc of the spring it just comes back and rubs again once i leave it .

I believe that the problem is there is some kinda middle shifting position in between normal positions. And again as you can see in picture #2 the red thing looks like it is in middle and if i put more pressure into the lever it goes until the end and it brings the derailleur to a position that it doesn't rub anymore when i leave the lever it comes back to middle.

(i couldn't upload the images to here directly)

picture #1 =
View: https://imgur.com/a/skfQCGB

picture #2 =
View: https://imgur.com/a/Z8Cm1ZG

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Unclamp the cable. unscrew the H upper limit screw a few turns. Can you push the cage over to beyond where it needs to go by hand? If so, the issue is lack of cable tension when in the small chainring.

si_c

Guru
As above, it's not an issue with the limit screw - this defines how far out the derailleur can move, the movement itself is performed by cable tension. Because you can move the derailleur out beyond it's current position that means the derailleur limit screw is not the problem, you need to adjust the cable tension so that when in the largest front ring the derailleur is moved far enough out.

Usually there is a barrel adjuster in line with the cable which you can turn - this will either move the derailleur in or out from it's current position, if it moves in then turn it the other way. Once you have it set so that the chain stops rubbing make sure you tweak the limit screw so that it won't let the derailleur move too far out - this can cause your chain to come off at the front. A good guide is here.

OP
OP
C

corpion

As above, it's not an issue with the limit screw - this defines how far out the derailleur can move, the movement itself is performed by cable tension. Because you can move the derailleur out beyond it's current position that means the derailleur limit screw is not the problem, you need to adjust the cable tension so that when in the largest front ring the derailleur is moved far enough out.

Usually there is a barrel adjuster in line with the cable which you can turn - this will either move the derailleur in or out from it's current position, if it moves in then turn it the other way. Once you have it set so that the chain stops rubbing make sure you tweak the limit screw so that it won't let the derailleur move too far out - this can cause your chain to come off at the front. A good guide is here.
i watched this video like 5 times. But i never finished it, now watching the end it made sense and i got it fixed. Thanks to all 3 of you

Ajax Bay

Guru
And link this to the other recent thread: when correctly positioned over the small ring, there should be some tension in the cable. Even "a little bit of slack" = zero tension; and may result in the shifter not being able to get the cage far enough across to make the change to the largest ring.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom