Classic Car of the future "cheap"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I beg to differ. The Renault4 and Citroen 2CV and DS are classic cars and well sought after. I have owned many Renaults and Citroens and been pleased with all of them. My present car is a Renault Captur. Great car.

From experience French automobile electrics are shite. They'll catch fire or just cease to work, you wait and see. They'll be even worse after Brexit, they've never forgiven us for showing them up their useless Generals leading to them being easy prey for the Nazis in 1940.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

From experience French automobile electrics are shite. They'll catch fire or just cease to work, you wait and see. They'll be even worse after Brexit, they've never forgiven us for showing them up their useless Generals leading to them being easy prey for the Nazis in 1940.
You mean like the Vauxhall Zafira??? Got the right name eh. :wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I beg to differ. The Renault4 and Citroen 2CV and DS are classic cars and well sought after. I have owned many Renaults and Citroens and been pleased with all of them. My present car is a Renault Captur. Great car.

I've owned a ZX & a Megane both TBH were shite !!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I've known a few people do prodigous mileages in French cars, specifically Peugot diesels. I drove a friend's 205 and though it went OK, and was nice to drive it was a bit tatty - then noted quarter of a million miles on the clock. Don't think it had had more than regular servicing and had had a hard life as a caving wagon. A colleague had done I think (though now doubting myself) twice that in hers. That said I've been in 500,000km mercedes taxis which were almost like new, albeit considerably costlier to start with

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4473952, member: 259"]I had a Safrane as a company car. It had many futuristic features, like periodically cutting all power and electronics once you'd got up to motorway cruise speed, thus reducing emissions.

The adjustable seats were fab though![/QUOTE]

What was that Renault that was so far advanced that they lost money on every one? About the same vintage as the Safrane.

classic33

Leg End Member
Plastic cars are never classics

toy_cars_001.jpg
I've one of these, amongst others
rcm.jpg

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
[QUOTE 4474059, member: 259"]I think that was the Vel Satis. It was truly hideous.

800px-Renault_Avantime_lh.jpg

The Safrane was quite cool-looking at its time.[/QUOTE]
"zut alors, la voiture c'est ne hideous enough pas, nous doit un toit de vinyl appliquer, pour le effect total"

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I enjoyed my Citroën BX a lot. Less so the AX I had which had a clutch pull assembly made from a metallic like material thinner than Tesco Value tinfoil and failed if you sneezed hard enough near the engine bay.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4474217, member: 259"]The BX had that fancy suspension system didn't it?[/QUOTE]

I did a total of over 300,000 miles in 3 cars with fancy suspension with not one problem.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
The water pump on my 7 year old Peugeot leaked all over some important electric box (Bm34 or something) and it all needed replacing. Bill was over £2,000. Peugeot said it wasn't a design fault to put a water pump directly over an electrical box. I am therefore rearranging my house, so the water tank is directly above the fuse box. And loosening some pipes.

Top Bottom