Classic cars that have been passed over...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

red_tom

My Dad had a Scimitar for a while (he was racing at the 750 motor club and they were all fans of the Reliant marque). I've never sat in a car that had a more ridiculous distribution of space between the front and back seats. I'm 6'5'' and could just about touch the front of the footwell in the front seat whilst you couldn't fit a legless gnat into the back seats.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The Subaru MV.

It's a pickup, not a car, it's true - but it was a small van that sipped fuel and could carry half a tonne of stuff. And it was pretty capable off the road, with a good ground clearance, proper four-wheel drive, and it weighed next to nothing. Just the van lots of country folk needed. They were very popular with keepers, farmworkers, nature reserve wardens and wildlife biologists.

And poachers.

There's nothing like that around today - why not?

LLB

Uncle Phil said:
The Subaru MV.

It's a pickup, not a car, it's true - but it was a small van that sipped fuel and could carry half a tonne of stuff. And it was pretty capable off the road, with a good ground clearance, proper four-wheel drive, and it weighed next to nothing. Just the van lots of country folk needed. They were very popular with keepers, farmworkers, nature reserve wardens and wildlife biologists.

And poachers.

There's nothing like that around today - why not?

Oh look, nasty bull bars, get the hacksaw out before MrP sees them :smile:

Trillian

linfordlunchbox said:
TBH, the new skodas are really very good and the rally winning ones were prepped in the UK IIRC, but the run of the mill pre VAG stuff earned their reputation, and totally pilloried by the likes of the Sun

oh, i'm refering to the 50's and 60's cars, the saab 92's i think they were

Pottsy

Ciroen DS - 'the basking shark' ?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've put two of my dad's old cars up, and thinking about it, his is ireally a list of overlooked classics
1) Morris Oxford estate (see prev)
2) Ford Corsair (see prev)
3) Ford Anglia (see above)
4) Ford Cortina MkIII (see above)
5) Morris Marina
6) Ford Cortina MkIV
7) Datsun Cherry
...(at which point dad popped his clogs, but I'm sure he'd have chosen some other stonkers! :biggrin:)

twowheelsgood

Fnaar said:
Our first car was a Morris Oxford Estrate, a bit like this...
Dad bought it off the butcher. One Sat afternoon trip out, my dad took 12 (!!!!!!) kids out in it, for a picnic! Brave man!

Fab! We had the Austin cambridge countryman, more or less the same car. An estate car with fins - how cool was that! (err, in the mid-70s not very).

It was very practical too, good amount of room useful split/folding tailgate.

On ours the left rear door opened around some corners and eventually the rear suspension fell in due to rust on our 1976 summer holiday - but we loved it.

twowheelsgood

I've owned a couple of classics:

A rover P6 3500 (not exactly practical when you are 17 but the fact I only did a few miles and the insurance was £90 almost made it so).

A Sunbeam Alpine sorts. Well an MG or Triumph is just a little too ubiquitous wasn't it? It was also much more comfortable and refined if not exactly sporty (although the 1725 alloy head angine was light years ahead of the horrible MGB lump).

I also owned a definitely overlooked classic a Sunbeam Rapier Fastback (1968-1976). Nothing else on British roads looked anything like it and pillarless windows and overdrive were cool!

classified113.jpg

h120.jpg

Top Bottom