Classic Peugeots - what to look for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
I've long been an admirer of old peugeot racers, I'm currently cleaning up a steel framed bike from the 90's for a family member and don't want to give it back (though it's too small). I've been thinking about trying to get hold of an old peugeot but I know there is a big difference in quality between different bikes. Lots of the bikes I've seen on ebay have little information about them and I think sometimes they've just come out of a shed or being sold for a relative so the seller doesn't have all the answers. The other thing I like is that there are some pretty big frames to fit the taller gent.

Just wondered if there are any enthusiasts out there with any tips on what to look for and how to get myself a decent one? What I should be paying etc. Something that I can do a bit of commuting (12 mile round trip) and pottering about on, but that replacement pieces are not a complete nightmare!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@MattDB some of the early Pugs have french threaded bottom brackets etc etc and getting new cups can be fun , i do think the frame could be re tapped to std threads but check with somebody who knows better first , but i wouldnt let that worry me if its a complete bike only if buying a bare frameset worry .

some have strange seat post id's so make sure it has a post . A lot of them are either carbolite 103 or hle tubing and i feel this is just below reynolds 501 tubing so can be heavy , quite a few are 531 and these are great to ride you see a few Columbus tubed ones as well and are nice to ride and then later on there are some alloy ones as well no experiance of these so cant comment .

which ever one you go for once checked over should provide you with a great commuting machine , i personally wouldnt worry about the threading issue and just find a clean as possible one and enjoy it .

there are a couple of web pages that help to id what model is what but cant find the links right now if i do i will add them.

Enjoy the search it will be fun

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with Carbolite or HLE. Mine rides like a dream.

Definitely make sure you have a seat post. By the 80s, I think they had standard threading but not 100% sure on this point. If older than that, make sure you ahve a headset with the frame, don't worry too much about the BB as that can be dealt with if need be.

You may also come across French threaded freewheel blocks or Helicomatic hubs but it's not the end of the world if you need to replace the back wheel.

Many had Mafac centre pull brakes which will probably squeal but are excellent brakes if set up properly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Some are quite worth converting to some alloy wheels, or 700cs and long reach brakes.. Some are not. I liked my HLE Versailles quite a bit, but it already had alloy wheels. They are nicely made cycles, and do a nice job of point A to point B. Still and all, I've found older Raleighs suit me better, if I had my d'ruthers.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member

tyred

Legendary Member

Looks like a 1970s UO-8. I have one, sadly not in the condition that one is in.

It's not particularly light but a very stable bike, quite responsive and very comfortable. Very good for touring as they have long seat stays so no kicking panniers and have mountings on the front forks for a rack if you want one. They have the Mafac brakes too which are very powerful if set up correctly, although they do need more hand pressure than modern brakes.

That is a French threaded bike and it has a 24mm oddball seatpost but you have all the parts there and they last pretty well and if all else fails, Velo Orange can supply French threaded components which are nice but pricey. If you wanted a double or triple chainset, you should be able to use the existing BB cups with a different spindle, at least it worked fine on mine when I converted to a double. The stem is also 22mm as opposed to the standard 7/8" one but the difference is only 0.2mm - a quick rub with sandpaper will allow a standard stem to be used if you wanted to change the stem.

I would say that one is a bit over-priced but on the other hand it looks exceptionally well preserved. It's probably cheaper than trying to refurbish a rough one.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Looks like a 1970s UO-8. I have one, sadly not in the condition that one is in.

It's not particularly light but a very stable bike, quite responsive and very comfortable. Very good for touring as they have long seat stays so no kicking panniers and have mountings on the front forks for a rack if you want one. They have the Mafac brakes too which are very powerful if set up correctly, although they do need more hand pressure than modern brakes.

That is a French threaded bike and it has a 24mm oddball seatpost but you have all the parts there and they last pretty well and if all else fails, Velo Orange can supply French threaded components which are nice but pricey. If you wanted a double or triple chainset, you should be able to use the existing BB cups with a different spindle, at least it worked fine on mine when I converted to a double. The stem is also 22mm as opposed to the standard 7/8" one but the difference is only 0.2mm - a quick rub with sandpaper will allow a standard stem to be used if you wanted to change the stem.

I would say that one is a bit over-priced but on the other hand it looks exceptionally well preserved. It's probably cheaper than trying to refurbish a rough one.

Thanks so much for that reply - For some reason I hadn't noticed it was 'buy it now' and I'd been planning my late bid (doh). I'm hoping that it's more comfy than my Felt F95 which I've had difficulties with. Those tyres look like they'll be better than my 23's in the winter too. Very tempted now.

Interesting re: the brakes - so they're capable even with those steel rims? I'd assumed that it was previously a 10spd but perhaps not - I hadn't thought about changing spindle length as an option but that's also interesting.

So just got to sell this idea to the missus now - probably have to get rid of my old raleigh.

That Velo Orange site has some lovely stuff!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It appears someone took the FD, small ring, and shifter off this one. Nice frame, in
good condition. Probably worth the trouble of sourcing some period alloy rims, a complete shifter pair, and an FD. UO-8s are good bicycles, I've owned a couple over the years, always too small, though.

Top Bottom