Classic Peugeots - what to look for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Go for it!

If I get one I'll probably go for the slightly larger dropped bar one - I'm 6'6" so the frame size was one of the motivating factors!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You'd need some drop bar brake levers for that flat bar bike.

tyred

Legendary Member
Thanks so much for that reply - For some reason I hadn't noticed it was 'buy it now' and I'd been planning my late bid (doh). I'm hoping that it's more comfy than my Felt F95 which I've had difficulties with. Those tyres look like they'll be better than my 23's in the winter too. Very tempted now.

Interesting re: the brakes - so they're capable even with those steel rims? I'd assumed that it was previously a 10spd but perhaps not - I hadn't thought about changing spindle length as an option but that's also interesting.

So just got to sell this idea to the missus now - probably have to get rid of my old raleigh.

That Velo Orange site has some lovely stuff!

The brakes on chrome rims will never be all that brilliant in the rain although you will find Fibrax make the raincheater pads which will fit (they're marketed for Canti brakes). They will be better than the Weinmanns of the period though.

Alloy rims are a worthwhile upgrade if you want better brakes.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
How "classic" are you looking for?

I might be selling my early 90's Peugeot optimum 52cm if you interested. It's current had a Claris/R501 makeover but done in a way that could be converted back to standard.

I was going to use the Claris and R501's for a CX project but I haven't had time or funds for a CX frame

Drago

Legendary Member
I find my F85 uber comfy on 23s. Not tried it on 21s yet. Perhaps my lardy mass damps the vibrations.

Just shows why folk should never buy a bike on the basis of a spec sheet - the same frame I find hammock comfy is pretty uncomfortable to someone else.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
I find my F85 uber comfy on 23s. Not tried it on 21s yet. Perhaps my lardy mass damps the vibrations.

Just shows why folk should never buy a bike on the basis of a spec sheet - the same frame I find hammock comfy is pretty uncomfortable to someone else.

I understood the F series
How "classic" are you looking for?

I might be selling my early 90's Peugeot optimum 52cm if you interested. It's current had a Claris/R501 makeover but done in a way that could be converted back to standard.

I was going to use the Claris and R501's for a CX project but I haven't had time or funds for a CX frame

I would jump at the chance but I think I'm too tall for it.

The problem with my Felt (or the problem with me) I think is the riding position - wish I'd gone for the Z which I believe have a slightly different frame geometry. Other than my lower back issues I like the bike a lot.

The problem with my Felt (or the problem with me) I think is the riding position - wish I'd gone for the Z which I believe have a slightly different frame geometry. Other than my lower back issues I like the bike a lot.
Ah, the old "bars too low" problem; I have a friend with a similar styled "sportive/audax" bike to the "Z" and it feels like you're riding cow bars after my Genesis (he loves it and I'm sure I'd get used to it). Old steel racers are designed to have seat and bars more or less equal, and of course the bars are properly adjustable WITHOUT having to buy new forks!

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
So I could tell my girlfriend it's medically advisable to buy this bike?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

£275

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-C...000936?hash=item235d8742e8:g:r3MAAOSwgyxWUtiz

Would buy, looks under priced?

Top Bottom