Claud Butler Olympic Super Coureur Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Here is my latest, A very tatty Claud Butler Olympic (gas pipe frame) All the nice stuff has been removed (Brooks and Campag) good news is that I love the colour scheme and it fits me so my plan is to turn it in to a simple single speed pub bike.

midlife

Guru
Is it this ?

coureur.jpg

midlife

Guru
Nice looking lugs, 60's? There's a thread on Retrobike with CB numbers. The wheels look a bit more modern. If the chainset is original the stamps on that could date it.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So I've had a bit more thought overnight and have made the decision to sympathetically restore this. As it fits me, I'm probably going to keep it. I've wanted simple steel framed 5 or 10 speed vintage bike for a while now and I really love the colour scheme on this one, so I'm quite excited to see how it will come out.

The plan so far is to source the missing single shifter and rear mech (possibly Campag but I might use vintage Simplex or Shimano instead), I'm going to replace the wheelset and freewheel, the rims are beyond salvaging. The frame is in very good condition so I'll just deep clean and polish it. The mudguards will go in the bin as a couple of the mountings are broken. I'm also going to source a replacement Brooks leather saddle or equivalent. So zero profit on this one!!! :laugh:

Nice looking lugs, 60's? There's a thread on Retrobike with CB numbers. The wheels look a bit more modern. If the chainset is original the stamps on that could date it.

I'm pretty sure it's all 100% original, the chainset is definitely the original.

Mid 70's?

I think it's a bit earlier, late 60's very early 70's. My brother is mad about these bikes and sent me this original Advert. Mine looks as if it's the higher specification Super Coureur yours for £28 seven shillings and sixpence back then

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The dinner plate behind the freewheel is more modern, not sure if the wheels would have been 40 spoke rear, 32 spoke front?

you may well be right, it’s a very well used 40 year old bike so who knows what’s really original

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’ve stripped it this morning, deep cleaned and cut back the frame and the colour is stunning! Although a bit scruffy it’s nice straight and rust free

Top Bottom