Claud Butler Olympic Super Coureur Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
My NOS Bluemels spares arrived this afternoon, I replaced all the stay bolts and fitted the small rubber end bungs. Considering I was going to throw these away, for a tenner of expenditure I’m really pleased with them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've just read your Tour de France thread, really nice restoration, do you still have the bike?
I thought you’d see that thread before.

I sold the TdeF to a collector from the Benson Vintage Cycle club. I made a small loss on it.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I just sorted out some small jobs this morning. Firstly the replacement frame lug bolts arrived.

I then tackled the brake cables, I fitted new inner and outer cables, set them up and they work beautifully. (the strips of rubber, cable tied to the handlebars are to stop the bars hitting the frame)

Finally I fitted the original pedals which I'd stripped and restored.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Picked these up today. Off a 1979 Claud Butler, steel rims, atom hubs and the correct width for the dropouts plus a nice Regina 5 speed freewheel. For 40 years old they're mint. chap I bought them off had owned the bike from new and had almost never used it. The Michelin tyres that came with the bike had loads of miles left in them so I reused them.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Next was to set the brakes up which took much longer than I anticipated, the brake blocks I bought were far too wide so I took a hacksaw to them! :stop:

So finally after lots of cursing and swearing, they work a treat, the 60 year old quick release system (which I've never seen before) also works perfectly.

Next the chain, no dramas, I'm sick of cheap Ebay chains so I bought a decent Sram PC850 it was the perfect length and came with a quick link. A quick tweak of the adjustment screws and the rear Sun Tour worked perfectly. the only fly in the ointment was that the friction shifter keeps undoing itself, it may be contaminated with grease, but for now I've put a dab of quick release Loctite on the end of the securing bolt, I'll see if that fixes it, if not it'll have to stripped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So finally a quick shakedown around the close. Seat was loose so were the handlebars. So I tightened everything up and also adjusted the mudguards, and it's really nice, it rides, it changes gear and stops perfectly. apart from the very narrow bars which will take some getting used to the riding position is perfect for me.

Final job is the bar tape, I resisted fitting the perforated brown tape that I already have, I think it will look a bit too contrived, so I'm going with perforated black which match the mudguards.

So nearly done, total costs, almost £300 :ohmy: so more than it's worth, but this was never about profit or money, I just did it for me, I loved the frame, and felt it was worth restoring properly and keeping as an occasional garage queen!

Top Bottom