Claud Butler Olympic Super Coureur Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
You really are an artist, Gunk. Very impressive. I read the adverts and wonder what is "chrome steel "? You said it was gas pipe but I would have to wonder. What do you do to clean and polish the frame? It looks amazing.

I just use fine wire wool and WD40 or white spirit, I don’t rub too hard. I then just use cutting polish.

I wasn’t happy with the bar tape, too many creases and too much bar showing, so off it came and second attempt is much better. I’m happy now!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’m also doing it a disservice calling it gas pipe, these early Holdsworth built CB’s were a nice lightweight butted frame, not branded 531 but just as light.

“chrome” steel frame is Chrome Moly.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/what-is-chromoly/

12boy

Guru
I like chromo muchly. Too nice a frame for crap steel. Ever tried finishing off bar tape with twine and shellac? Shellacked cloth tape and twine lasts a long time and when it becomes worn a little fresh coat makes it like new.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I like chromo muchly. Too nice a frame for crap steel. Ever tried finishing off bar tape with twine and shellac? Shellacked cloth tape and twine lasts a long time and when it becomes worn a little fresh coat makes it like new.

I have looked at cloth, but quite like the perforated vinyl, I know it's not quite period correct but it's only bar tape!

midlife

Guru
Looking a million dollars :smile: I know it's only a small thing but it's convention to have the saddle clamp around the other way :smile:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I've just checked it and the bolt must have always been that side, as the frame is all scratched around it, and virtually unmarked the other side.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Is it my imagination or are the jockey wheels worn toothless? I know those parts will be like new when done.

midlife

Guru
Saddle clip much more streamlined :smile: Nice looking mech and shifter :smile:

The mech has a couple of spring settings IIRC, might want to pick the tightest if it's a few years old. Early campag shifters were notorious for having extremely tight nipple housings, Small amount of wet and dry on the cable nipple might be needed.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So off with the SunTour mech and shifter and split the chain again and out with the rear wheel. I had to shorten the chain by about 4 links but it all came together well, I couldn't work out why the cable kept slipping out of the clamp and then I realised that the clamp enables the cable to be wrapped around it, it does like some tension on the cable to work effectively, but with some fiddling with the stop screws and cable tension I've got it working a treat, I can't believe how well it shifts for a design that dates back 70 years. Mine is a 1963 version (no cable adjuster) which possibly means that although the frame is dated 1962 the bike was built up the following year.

So a short test ride in 30c heat :wacko: but it performed faultlessly, not quite as smooth as the Suntour mech I removed, but not far off and it's really nice to have the original equipment back on the bike. It just makes it feel that bit more special.

I thought the concrete sheep would make a good photo opportunity!

Top Bottom