Claud Butler Olympic Super Coureur Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the colour of the frame is lovely, it definitely deserves its day in the sun!

congrats on a job well done :okay:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I managed to get out for a longer test ride this afternoon, about 6 miles. The five speed gearing is very low, perfect for where I live here in Oxford as it's pretty flat but I wouldn't want to do a serious climb on it. It rides really well, super-smooth, very comfortable and quiet, it's also much faster than I thought it would be. I'm not keen on the pedals though, they seem a bit too narrow so I might change them at a later date.

Just a few things needed addressing when I got back, I wasn't happy with the front brakes so I swapped the blocks for an older set I already had and that seems to have improved them. It was also a bit reluctant to shift into 5th but a tweak on the adjustment screw has easily sorted that out. I was also pleased that my Loctite trick on the friction shifter seems to have worked, it hasn't come loose all day. I also cut down the rear mudguard stays as they stuck out with the replacement fixed bridge, a cable cutter trimmed them down.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Final job is the bar tape, I resisted fitting the perforated brown tape that I already have, I think it will look a bit too contrived, so I'm going with perforated black which match the mudguards.
As we can see the Borg were correct and resistance is indeed futile, as in the very next post the picture shows the bar tape fitted...…..

…….The lovely BROWN PERFORATED bar tape.:laugh:

I think it suits it.

Gorgeous looking bike, well done.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As we can see the Borg were correct and resistance is indeed futile, as in the very next post the picture shows the bar tape fitted...…..

…….The lovely BROWN PERFORATED bar tape.:laugh:

I think it suits it.

Gorgeous looking bike, well done.

The bar tape is some cheap and nasty eBay stuff I had in the garage. It doesn’t stretch enough and feels like an old vinyl sofa, so it’s just temporary. I’ve ordered some Selcof Eolo Bar Tape again in dark Brown. It’s also perforated but is much nicer quality and as it stretches I’ll get a much better finish.

I forgot to post before and after photos

Before.

AA28460E-02F8-42F5-BB39-CAEA3F3DF9C6.jpeg

And after.

D171099B-D2DA-4449-A118-A2EC103A843B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Another very pleasant shake down ride today, I clipped on a pannier and rode down to Halfords to collect some gas for the barbecue.

A nice old boy stopped to admire it, he had bought one new in the early 1960’s.

I stopped for a quick photo opportunity on the way home.

Once home back on the stand, I let about 10psi out of the tyres just to soften the ride, I trued both wheels and dropped the seat about a cm.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
:notworthy: lovely bike.

Thanks DC, it reminds me of what cycling used to be like. It's bit like owning an old MGB. you wouldn't want to use it every day but it's just nice to get it out now and again and enjoy it, plus you get a unique pleasure riding something you built yourself. I've been looking for a nice vintage bike for a while now, so after all the hard work, I now just intend to enjoy the ownership experience.

Thanks DC, it reminds me of what cycling used to be like. It's bit like owning an old MGB. you wouldn't want to use it every day but it's just nice to get it out now and again and enjoy it, plus you get a unique pleasure riding something you built yourself. I've been looking for a nice vintage bike for a while now, so after all the hard work, I now just intend to enjoy the ownership experience.
I know a little of this pleasure, because I generally mod my bikes out of all recognition!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Had a nice stroke of luck last night, the seller emailed me to say that they had found the original Campag Gran Sport mech and shifter (they removed it as they didn't know if the bike would end up being scrapped) anyway I'm collecting it on Friday. If it's serviceable I'll reunite it with the bike.

12boy

Guru
You really are an artist, Gunk. Very impressive. I read the adverts and wonder what is "chrome steel "? You said it was gas pipe but I would have to wonder. What do you do to clean and polish the frame? It looks amazing.

Top Bottom