Claude butler mans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I had no joy so gonna drop it in the bike shop tomorrow let him have a go at it.

lpretro1

If seized solid only solution may be to cut through fork steerer and then fit new fork & stem - seen this before on CB bikes - steerers are never greased before they leave the factory and some lbs mechanics are too lazy to just pop them out as part of the predelivery prep

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

If seized solid only solution may be to cut through fork steerer and then fit new fork & stem - seen this before on CB bikes - steerers are never greased before they leave the factory and some lbs mechanics are too lazy to just pop them out as part of the predelivery prep
Thanks for the film he sure struggled hope my bike shop dont resort to this drastic method, hope to get it back today, ill let u know

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Gravity aided i have heard from the bike shop he was unable to remove the stuck handlebars, so looks like the only way.is to cut the bars stem off as in the video and saw down the whats left of the handle bar stem it seemed to work in the video, so guess ill be operating on it the weekend as in the video, thanks to all your replies but everything failed. So looks like surgery is the only thing left to try......

si_c

Guru
So looks like surgery is the only thing left to try......

I had to do the same earlier this year for a stuck quill stem. One piece of advice is if you can get a hacksaw without the metal loop over the top. It'll allow you to get the blade all the way down the tube.

Also take your time, don't rush it, last thing you want to do is to start hacksawing your way through the steerer tube.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I had to do the same earlier this year for a stuck quill stem. One piece of advice is if you can get a hacksaw without the metal loop over the top. It'll allow you to get the blade all the way down the tube.

Also take your time, don't rush it, last thing you want to do is to start hacksawing your way through the steerer tube.

Hello thanks for the tips but i had some good results i went to collect the CB that the guy said he could not do but i saw the handle bars was twisted the other way than they was when i took it to him, so i brought it home , and twisted the bars straight which really is all i needed him to do didn,t need the bars right out as the trouble was they were twisted the other way making it not oossible to ride, unless you wanted to ride round in ever decreasing circles, so i straightened the bars although the centre bolts not into the wedge shaped thingy which is right down the bottom, but the bars are so tight they will never move whilst riding. So im ok its ride able and safe and cost me nothing.
So thanks everyone and now im ok.....

Last edited:

DanZac

I'd be a bit worried about riding it without the bolt engaged. Whilst it may seem unmovable now its going to be pretty painful if it suddendly comes out or even just moves whilst your riding.
personally i wouldnt risk riding it without installing the retaining bolt.

si_c

Guru
I'd be a bit worried about riding it without the bolt engaged. Whilst it may seem unmovable now its going to be pretty painful if it suddendly comes out or even just moves whilst your riding.

Definitely this @rebelpeter , you've also said that it has been straightened, so presumably it has moved even if just a little. I'm taking this to mean that quill stem is not seized, just very tight, and possibly on the way to seizing if you had left it much longer.

This raises the very real possibility that the quill may shift sharply when riding, causing you to lose control and crash. Without the bolt in place to secure it, you have no reason to assume that this will not be the case.

I'd spend time removing the quill, cleaning it, and reattaching the bolt, and reinserting it into the steerer tube. You've managed to move it a little, so it shouldn't take too much effort. If needs be use a cheater bar to get it moving a bit more freely, and put some penetrating oil around the quill to help it move.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Cant get the bars out to get to the wedge shaped nut, and theres no way these cars will movethere solid took a bike shop two days and they are still locked solid just managed to move them straight bit took two people twisting the bars all their strength to move them no way will riding ever shift these bars perfectly safe to ride...they are tighter now than if the bolt was tightened to the wedge nut they will never move no worries there.

Top Bottom