Claude butler mans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rebelpeter

I just bought a second hand neglected bike but the steerings locked solid I can't straighten the handlebars and seems it was left out of line to the front wheel, I've took the Centre Allen keyed long bolt right out and I can see down the hole can't see the usual shaped thing that the steering bolt screws into to tighten the handlebars, tried everything its well stuck seems the bolt screws into the frame down there instead of the usual shaped thing like on most bikes.... Any ideas anyone...

midlife

Guru
Any pics? If its an old quill stem you need to screw the bolt back in so a cm sticks out and then smack it with a hammer with a piece if hard wood over the head of the bolt.

That should free it, if not then its stuck in with corrosion...

Shaun

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
From your description I'm not sure you do have the old style quill stem. If it's fitted with the more modern threadless headset it works differently and definitely won't appreciate being hit with a hammer.

+1 for photos so we can say for certain before anything gets broken.;)

si_c

Guru
+1 on screwing the bolt in and whacking it with a hammer. You may need to give it some proper welly.

Once the bolt is loose you should be able to move the stem. If you want to be sure, post a photo or two and we can advise then.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Heres the stuck in handlebars ons the CB
IMG_00000006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_00000007.jpg
    IMG_00000007.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 28

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put the bolt back in but stop when the thread has engaged in the wedge and the top of the bolt is still sticking out of that hole.

Tap the bolt with a hammer. When it drops into the hole the wedge is free and you can straighten the bars. Tighten the bolt to pull the wedge back up, though it would be better to dismantle everything and grease it up first.

Alternatively put something long down the hole and wallop it to free the wedge, but then you'll definitely need to pull the stem out to retrieve the wedge.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Put the bolt back in but stop when the thread has engaged in the wedge and the top of the bolt is still sticking out of that hole.

Tap the bolt with a hammer. When it drops into the hole the wedge is free and you can straighten the bars. Tighten the bolt to pull the wedge back up, though it would be better to dismantle everything and grease it up first.

Alternatively put something long down the hole and wallop it to free the wedge, but then you'll definitely need to pull the stem out to retrieve the wedge.

Hello well in can now see the shaped thing the allen keyed bolt screws into but it's now right down the bottom so the bolt does not reach the shaped thing it should screws into, but even if it did it would not help as I can see the handlebars bar stem that goes into the forks is rusted up and so I can't move the handlebars bars which are stuck solid, the bars are turner so I can't line the bars to the front wheel, but ill can't move the bars at alle, in trying to drop ww40 and things oil between the bars and top of the forks but there's hardly any gap so don't think any is getting down at all and looks like the bars are well stuck to the forks, it just wont budget at all, if I could just turn the bars slightly in could straighten the bars they need to go few inches to straighten the steering, but they are solid.

Needs something down where it's stuck oil etc wont go down as theres virtualy no gap at all... Between bar stem and forks u can see the rust.

si_c

Guru
Sounds like a seized stem, not uncommon on old unmaintained bikes.

Your local bike shop may be able to help, as may putting wd40 or some other penetrating oil into the steerer tube from the bottom. Leave it a few hours and try to loosen. You can also try hot water then ice water and repeat a few times, as the metals will contract and expand at different rates and hopefully loosen.

I wasn't able to remove the last stem that seized on me, ended up hacksawing it out. Not for the faint hearted.

Others will be able to recommend other maybe better methods.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Sounds like a seized stem, not uncommon on old unmaintained bikes.

Your local bike shop may be able to help, as may putting wd40 or some other penetrating oil into the steerer tube from the bottom. Leave it a few hours and try to loosen. You can also try hot water then ice water and repeat a few times, as the metals will contract and expand at different rates and hopefully loosen.

Yes the handlebars stem is solid seized onto the forks, so is is it best to put into the bottom like turn bike upside down?.
Ill try the water treatment u suggest in have the matching ladies bike too in decent conditioning so hope in can get it working

I wasn't able to remove the last stem that seized on me, ended up hacksawing it out. Not for the faint hearted.
Sounds rather cruel to me but if water rails ill ask my local shop.

Others will be able to recommend other maybe better methods.

Ok thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
Then I would remove the wheel, stick a solid piece of timber between the forks so that it supports the fork crown then wallop the steerer hard with something heavy but non-damaging like another big chunk of wood or a very large mallet or a lump hammer onto a chunk of wood. That ought to shock the bond free.

There should be a hole under the fork crown that gives you a way of spraying penetrating oil inside but don't waste your time doing that until you've broken the bond and got the stem moving.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@rebelpeter sounds like fun times ahead , where are you based ?

i have a hefty rubber mallet thats i use to gently tap around the area some times it helps not always

try penetrating fluids rather than wd40

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Then I would remove the wheel, stick a solid piece of timber between the forks so that it supports the fork crown then wallop the steerer hard with something heavy but non-damaging like another big chunk of wood or a very large mallet or a lump hammer onto a chunk of wood. That ought to shock the bond free.

There should be a hole under the fork crown that gives you a way of spraying penetrating oil inside but don't waste your time doing that until you've broken the bond and got the stem moving.

Ok sounds good to me it probably needs a shock to dislodge it, thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom