Bike trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djson280

Regular
Hi

Anyone out there know if a cycle can tow 2 trailers?

Actually I'm doing it all the time.

Someone told me the other day it was not allowed?

Ordinary 2 wheeled bicycle trailer attached to the rear wheel and another on attached to the back of the trailer.
.thanks

Add a third and you will have a road train!

biketrailerguy

Also a trailer user, but have no idea about the legality of towing multiple trailers. I also know another cyclist who'd be curious about this, as he often moves bikes used in events back to 'base camp' in a similar fashion.
Btw, what are you towing that requires multiple rigs - other info, any pics?

classic33

Leg End Member
Nothing in UK law to prevent you towing two, or three trailers.

Will your bike stop them when they're fully loaded, or will you be using seperate, but integrated braking on all the trailers?

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
I know how difficult it is to navigate one trailer through our cycling 'infrastructure'. Two though, not sure how that could be done!

I don't go through town centres, that is pretty impossible.

I'm on the road, don't use cycle paths much unless I know I can get round and up and down from the road.

I'm mostly going from place to place and don't go down small roads.

It can be a little difficult when I'm in a new place.

Even then if I find I can't go, I unhook turn round and figure out a different route.

Jemps

Hi

Anyone out there know if a cycle can tow 2 trailers?

Actually I'm doing it all the time.

Someone told me the other day it was not allowed?

Ordinary 2 wheeled bicycle trailer attached to the rear wheel and another on attached to the back of the trailer.
.thanks

Yes I have also doubled up trailers before, it was in make shift but satisfactory way. I regularly connect up multiple three wheel and also sometimes including a four wheel bikes together to move them across the city to venues. I am part of a charity called Leicester Wheels For All that provides cycling opportunities for those that ordinarily would not have them, a chance to have fun, exercise or a learning experience for people with disabilities of all ages. The only challenge with bike trains can be going backwards which I generally avoid doing as it usually means needing assistance.

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
Nothing in UK law to prevent you towing two, or three trailers.

Will your bike stop them when they're fully loaded, or will you be using seperate, but integrated braking on all the trailers?

There are no breaks on the trailers, my issue is volume not weight.

I don't go fast, walking pace most of the time, I have a dog so I go at her walking speed so that she will walk for s couple of hours at a time.

About 6mph if I go any faster than 10mph she will need to rest for a couple of hours to recover.

So in time it works out the same.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are no breaks on the trailers, my issue is volume not weight.

I don't go fast, walking pace most of the time, I have a dog so I go at her walking speed so that she will walk for s couple of hours at a time.

About 6mph if I go any faster than 10mph she will need to rest for a couple of hours to recover.

So in time it works out the same.
You're planning on using two trailers, at a speed set by a your dog walking, presumably alongside and on a lead.
Either stick to the one trailer or leave the dog. You'll not be in full control of the bike and a possible unsafe load.

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
Also a trailer user, but have no idea about the legality of towing multiple trailers. I also know another cyclist who'd be curious about this, as he often moves bikes used in events back to 'base camp' in a similar fashion.
Btw, what are you towing that requires multiple rigs - other info, any pics?

Can you put me in touch?

I'm an old lorry driver, so I didn't think there was an issue, but this man said "can't do that"

I'll stick some pictures up at some time.

I travel from place to place, so camping, it's volume that I need.

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
You're planning on using two trailers, at a speed set by a your dog walking, presumably alongside and on a lead.
Either stick to the one trailer or leave the dog. You'll not be in full control of the bike and a possible unsafe load.

I'm not planning, I've been doing it for years.

Just because you can't doesn't make it unsafe.

I am in full control of my rig.

Yes she is on a lead so she doesn't run in the road.

Sometimes I use tracks then I'll let her loose, there are no vehicles there.

Top Bottom