Bike trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not planning, I've been doing it for years.

Just because you can't doesn't make it unsafe.

I am in full control of my rig.

Yes she is on a lead so she doesn't run in the road.

Sometimes I use tracks then I'll let her loose, there are no vehicles there.
Your attention is going to be between watching the surface you're cycling on, keeping control of the bike and walking your dog. You then have the extra weight, length and control of two trailers to contend with. Whether you've been doing it "for years" or just looking at starting makes no difference.

The legal part/requirement is to be in full control whilst in use. With no brakes on either trailer, relying on those on the bike only. It's not a case of "if" but "when".

As for not being able, try two nine foot trailers. Search for "bikes at work", and you'll see the type of trailer I'm on about.

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
Your attention is going to be between watching the surface you're cycling on, keeping control of the bike and walking your dog. You then have the extra weight, length and control of two trailers to contend with. Whether you've been doing it "for years" or just looking at starting makes no difference.

The legal part/requirement is to be in full control whilst in use. With no brakes on either trailer, relying on those on the bike only. It's not a case of "if" but "when".

As for not being able, try two nine foot trailers. Search for "bikes at work", and you'll see the type of trailer I'm on about.

Yes I looked at Bikes at work, but as they are in America not much use to me.

Although I'm looking into having something similar made.

biketrailerguy

<< Can you put me in touch? >>

I've mentioned this thread to him, but he'd have to join the forum to respond - which is up to him?
Are you on Instagram?

<< They are not heavy maximum 70kg. >>

<< so camping, it's volume that I need >>

Curious to see what sort of volume you're talking about - dimensions / weight and especially Cof G when loaded / being carried.

There's no way I'd want to carry 70Kg on my current trailer as it was built for a very specific purpose ... but if things changed, I'd build a trailer that could.

Biggest volume I've carried on current trailer was using a custom built container for leaf mould (mrsbtg's compost empire) - can't remember exact sizes, but very high C of G made the return trip slightly more circumspect than usual.
There's a pic of this setup ( and others) on my IG channel, btw

<< I've been doing it for years >>
Ditto, not pulling 2 or more, but built first trailer before offspring arrived - eldest 39 in April. Nearest I've come to a two trailer setup is when existing trailer was already loaded and I've come across a 'target of opportunity' with wheels - that also needed a new home - eg wheelchair / kids buggy etc ..

Btw, current trailer described in the projects/builds/ rebuilds/ mods etc

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes I looked at Bikes at work, but as they are in America not much use to me.

Although I'm looking into having something similar made.
Similar trailers, built to a similar standard over here(UK), was three times as much. And theirs, Bikes At Work, are of a proven design. One thing less to have to prove reliability wise.

You do have the required lighting fitted to both trailers I take it?

Jemps

Below is an example of what I regularly ride with

View attachment 720201
Hi

Anyone out there know if a cycle can tow 2 trailers?

Actually I'm doing it all the time.

Someone told me the other day it was not allowed?

Ordinary 2 wheeled bicycle trailer attached to the rear wheel and another on attached to the back of the trailer.
.thanks

Hi

Anyone out there know if a cycle can tow 2 trailers?

Actually I'm doing it all the time.

Someone told me the other day it was not allowed?

Ordinary 2 wheeled bicycle trailer attached to the rear wheel and another on attached to the back of the trailer.
.thanks

Here is an example of what I regularly ride to events with the charity Leicester Wheels For All which I mentioned above. I and others have been doing it for about 3 years and no problem with the police, mostly drivers enjoy seeing the bike trains it seems (sometimes there are 2 or 3 of them) - something different on the road! Photo is after just having returned from an event.

Attachments

• IMG-20211015-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211015-WA0000.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 9

biketrailerguy

<< Can you put me in touch? >>
See post by Jemps

Since volume has been mentioned several times, this is probably the largest swept volume I've towed
1600 x 650w x 500h .. 40Kg +

Attachments

• oak leaves 50pc.jpg
    oak leaves 50pc.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

biketrailerguy

<< As for not being able, try two nine foot trailers. Search for "bikes at work", and you'll see the type of trailer I'm on about >>

Have seen pics of some of the rigs used in Europe for city centre / in town distribution of items collected from out of town hubs - was your use similar?

OP
OP
D

djson280

Regular
<< As for not being able, try two nine foot trailers. Search for "bikes at work", and you'll see the type of trailer I'm on about >>

Have seen pics of some of the rigs used in Europe for city centre / in town distribution of items collected from out of town hubs - was your use similar?

That is interesting do you know where, which cities or which comprises?

I'm waiting for a quote to weld something similar.

classic33

Leg End Member

I bought the Bikes at Work trailers, proven design and reputable builder.

Own use, looking at trying the commercial delivery market. Longest load was a carpet, collected from a slightly uncertain carpet shop. Because I could, and not wanting to pay to have it delivered.

biketrailerguy

<< That is interesting do you know where, which cities or which comprises? >>

Sorry, can't remember. However, have a feeling it was Germany, rather than any of the Scandinavian countries (or Netherlands)
Very sexy bits of kit iirc. Containers were custom / stackable, dedicated for use with that specific trailer. Could well be wrong here, but also wonder if there was some degree of power assist in the trailer itself, so that if trailer decoupled from bike, the trailer alone could be more easily manoeuvred in limited spaces (and address reversing issue?)
Small extendable castor wheel at the front - similar to a caravan for the power assist maybe?

classic33

Leg End Member
<< That is interesting do you know where, which cities or which comprises? >>

Sorry, can't remember. However, have a feeling it was Germany, rather than any of the Scandinavian countries (or Netherlands)
Very sexy bits of kit iirc. Containers were custom / stackable, dedicated for use with that specific trailer. Could well be wrong here, but also wonder if there was some degree of power assist in the trailer itself, so that if trailer decoupled from bike, the trailer alone could be more easily manoeuvred in limited spaces (and address reversing issue?)
Small extendable castor wheel at the front - similar to a caravan for the power assist maybe?
Velove Armadillo, now out of production.
E-assist, built to take a specific sized container. DHL were trialling them in parts of the UK.

Top Bottom