Cleaning a cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I use a degreaser to clean, with a cassette brush as the bristles are long enough to get to bottom between the largest cogs. Dry thoroughly and then ACF13, from my motorbike days, and GT85 when I run out of that.

rb58

Enigma
Bio-degradable de-greaser and a stiff brush. Then the dishwasher is Mrs rb58 is not home.:whistle:

I live in Denmark and so we have ample facilities for getting rid of all types of waste and its free. I have plenty of surgical gloves for cleaning.
Where I come from people just chuck it down the drain or in the garden. It irks me.

Itsinterestingbto see what everyone uses. Nobody has suggested coke yet and that cleans everything. I may give it a go :0)
That is supposed to be really bad for you. Even worse than petrol. Petrol has less carbs, I think.

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit beyond most peoples opportunities, spray with WD40, (any solvent really, GT85 would be just as good) soak a while then blast out with an airline works fabulously.

xzenonuk

Veteran
took mine off recently so no bearings to worry about and used a wee hard brush and white spirit in a basin, then i sat it under a tap and scrubbed it more then a bit more white spirit then more tap and it came out looking all nice and shiny like new :smile:

done the chain with white spirit with same brush as well since the chain cleaner didn't do a good enough job :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
White spirit, paraffin, turps substitute, it's all very similar. I use white spirit and I pour the dirty liquid into a big jam jar. After a few days the dirt has settled out and the liquid is clean again. I just recycle the same white spirit over months and months in this way.

chrisuren

I just use some WD 40 and a stiff brush, rinse well with water and then use some compressed air (I build computers so have an abundance of cans of compressed air) to make sure it is dry, if I'm feeling utlra-lazy I also have an industrial hand dryer in my garage, in the winter I use that because my fingers appreciate the warmth.

Tom B

Guru
If I'm taking it off the parts washer..... Err Dishwasher..!

If it is staying on/SWMBO IS IN then rags, a little white spirit and light oil.

Top Bottom