Cleaning a cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
I've just converted to Morgan Blue for degreasing work on, chains, front and rear mechs and casettes , from using petrol, white spirit, washing up liquid, Halfords degreaser etc. Just spray it on, leave for five minutes and wash off with warm soapy water, dry off, job done with no mess. Very impressed with it

I've just converted to Morgan Blue for degreasing work on, chains, front and rear mechs and casettes , from using petrol, white spirit, washing up liquid, Halfords degreaser etc. Just spray it on, leave for five minutes and wash off with warm soapy water, dry off, job done with no mess. Very impressed with it

Better than Muc-Off??

zacklaws

Guru
I have never used Muc-Off degreaser so cannot really compare, apart for Morgan Blue is around 50% cheaper. I was not that impressed though with just the ordinary Muc-Off for cleaning bikes and would never use it again when warm soapy water does about the same.

MisterStan

Label Required
I find unicorn tears work the best. If you can't find any, then car shampoo will do just fine. As with most cleaning, it's the hot water and elbow grease that does best.

I find unicorn tears work the best. If you can't find any, then car shampoo will do just fine. As with most cleaning, it's the hot water and elbow grease that does best.

How about the tears when you jam your fingers in the cassette! I was only asking cos my father in law used to be a mechanic and the thing he hated most was trying to clean out the wind-screen washer mechanism after people had gunked it up using fairy liquid lol

andrewsdad

I have never used Muc-Off degreaser so cannot really compare, apart for Morgan Blue is around 50% cheaper. I was not that impressed though with just the ordinary Muc-Off for cleaning bikes and would never use it again when warm soapy water does about the same.
Have to agree, I found muc-off to be useless. Hot soapy water does the job fine.

bpsmith

Veteran
I use Muc Off and find it great. Even with cold water. Having the right equipment, brushes in this case, is what I find gets the job done tbh.

Tom B

Guru
How about the tears when you jam your fingers in the cassette! I was only asking cos my father in law used to be a mechanic and the thing he hated most was trying to clean out the wind-screen washer mechanism after people had gunked it up using fairy liquid lol

A capful or two of bleach cures gunked up washer bottles.

On the bike I use hot water, elcheapo car shampoo, jizer on a rag, a washing up brush, and a trimmed up paint brush.

I can get a chain for the price of two bottles of muck-off!

Top Bottom