Cleaning advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
See this is the type of cleaning frenzy that happens to me.

I had to change the brake pads on my commuter bike. It's not a big clean week.. so up on the frame and off with the wheels.. bit mucky so out with the bucket of water.. ooh, chain & cassette very mucky due to bad wet weather recently.. out with the white spirit.

2 hours later.. yep one completely clean bike.. even 'er indoors came out to say "you only cleaned it last weekend".. me with sheepish look "I know dear.. couldn't help myself"....

potsy said:
How am I gonna make that last 5 hours Fossy?
Just done my 2 with some wipes and a bit of wd40,only did it out of shame after what Ian wrote:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
5 hours was for 2 bikes though Fossy... start on one, might as well do the other :tongue:

fossyant said:
Blimey...I'm obviously much quicker with my tin of Mr Sheen.........:sad:

longers

Legendary Member
I'd like to confess to not cleaning a single bike in five weeks :sad:

and I've only oiled the chain twice in that time on the commuter despite it seeing a fair bit of action.

Maybe tomorrow.

GrasB

Veteran
I keep the light degreasing snow in the pressure washer after coating the car & once that's washed cover the bike in it. Then wash down with a wheel cleaning brush & clean warm water. I then go through with a cloth to get the bits the wheel brush missed. Let it drip dry & then lubricate.

Norm

Marin Maniac said:
I would be wary about using any of these types of cleaners as they are generally agressive.

Bucket of car wash and sponge and off you go.
Indeed, as I said, anyone using them should ensure a thorough rinsing. They are designed for removing oil, mud and road grime, which they do very well and very quickly. I've been using the same stuff on cars, motorbikes and latterly, cycles without any problems.

Used according to the instructions, they are very good. IMO. :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BrumJim said:
What about cleaning crud off the rear cassette and jockey wheels?

Baby wipes will do the job sweetly, toothbrush if mega-grimey to loosen stuff up. Use wipes like dental floss to clean cassettes. Simples.

Dave5N

Über Member
Two big buckets of hot soapy water. Brushes and sponges. 3-way Allen Keys. Copa slip, grease, GT 85 and oil. Bike stand. PARK chain cleaner with muc off as the degreaser. Kitchen towel. Cotton Buds.

4 Bikes from foul to perfect in an hour and fifteen minutes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I lube the chain whenever it needs it.

If God had meant bikes to be clean he would have made them small enough to go in the dishwasher.

Dave5N

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']I lube the chain whenever it needs it.

If God had meant bikes to be clean he would have made them small enough to go in the dishwasher.[/QUOTE]

You really don't understand Intelligent Design.

If God had meant bikes to be clean diswashers would be bigger.

e-rider

crappy member
After reading the labels carefully - I've noted that Park Tools Citrus degreaser is safe on all plastics and rubbers BUT Finish Line citrus degreaser is not!

Makes the choice a little easier next time I run out.

However, Muc-off, claims to be safe on all paint finishes but it trashed my cheap kona handlebar stem so it's clearly not safe!

Conclusion: be careful with any degreasers/solvents no matter what the label says.

Top Bottom