Cleaning advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Took my bike in for its 3 month free service. Report comes back:
"Bike needs a good clean and gears."

And that was after I gave it a good clean before I set off this morning. OK, I must have picked up some dirt on the way in, but not much.

Anyway, bike is a road bike (yes, getting snap-on mudguards for winter), which picks up general road dirt rather than mountain biking mud, and the only cleaning gear I have at the moment is a J-cloth.

So, what else do I need to clean a bike properly? Advice please. I'm looking for practical suggestions rather than a money-no-object trawl through Wiggle. If you use a toothbrush to get into those awkward places, or an old sock, then say so. And what do you recommend for gears? General cleaning here, not the once-yearly spruce and fettle. All practical advice welcome.

Norm

I use Castrol Greentec motorcycle cleaner, available from Halfords. Spray on and leave for a bit, agitate any really bad areas with a brush (I use a horse hoof brush, as it is all plastic and so cannot scratch the paint, about 99p from a saddlery) then rinse off. Make sure you rinse it all off, though, it's not good if left on permanently.

Oil the chain and other moving parts (derailleurs etc) after using any degreaser. :becool:

potsy

Rambler
The 1 and only time I washed my road bike i did it like you would a car,bucket soapy water,sponge/brush, then oiled the chain.
Can't wait til Fossy sees this thread he'll write you a 2 page essay on it:biggrin:
p.s. Only had bike 7-8 weeks so not due another wash til Jan.
Hybrid had since April still waiting for it's 1st wash,but it has full guards.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My ritual

Bike up on stand.
Off with the following
Mudguards
Wheels
Chain
Chainset
Cassette
Rear deraillieur jockey wheels

Take chainset fully apart and pedals off
Into bucket of white spirit with the chain, the cassette & jockey wheels

Clean bike with soapy (but not too soapy) water and a bit of elbow grease.
rinse and dry with cloth. (Remembering to clean brakes and brake and gear cables)

Check bottom bracket, run cloth through Bottom Bracket spindle to make sure no muck. If mucky, out with BB tool and off with BB. Clear out any grit or mucK From bottom bracket. Clean outside of bottom bracket with a cloth doused with little white spirit to get nice and clean.

Let all dry throughly whilst cleaning wheels AND tyres.

Back to frame and attack with Mr Sheen and cloth.

On to bits in bucket, Clean all up with brush.
Rinse off and dry very thoroughly.

Put all back on bike.
Lube up paying special attention to the chain using the Mickle method.

Hey presto one very nice clean bike...

I do this every 2 weeks.
And take 2 hours minimum...

In between the big clean weeks.
Up on stand
Wheels off
Wash and brush up frame, wheels and tyres
clean chain with rag and relube.

potsy

Rambler
Do you think you might have a touch of OCD there Ian?:becool:
If I lived a bit closer I'd get you to do mine while you're in the mood;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Potsy mate, You could always do what ilovebikes did before he moved oop Norf..

Come round with a few bottles of beer to use my bike stand and tools to clean your bike.. then I slowly interject because I think you are not doing it properly and ending up cleaning the whole bloody thing... Right Andy? :becool:

Oh and it has been known for me to carry a cleaning cloth on rides and have a mid ride cleaning session.. right Auntie Helen....:biggrin:

The longest time I have spent cleaning my bikes is 5 hours.. :smile:

potsy

Rambler
ianrauk said:

Come round with a few bottles of beer to use my bike stand and tools to clean your bike.. then I slowly interject because I think you are not doing it properly and ending up cleaning the whole bloody thing... Right Andy? :becool:

Oh and it has been known for me to carry a cleaning cloth on rides and have a mid ride cleaning session.. right Auntie Helen....:biggrin:

The longest time I have spent cleaning my bikes is 5 hours.. :smile:
5 hours OMG:ohmy:
Have been on the hybrid this week due to the 'great' Manc weather,had to blow all the dust off it 1st.
Might have a go this weekend if I get a spare 30 mins:smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
bloody hell Ian - I might partake of the couple of beers service too....

I hear you run a good Halfordsesque workshop!:becool:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Baby wipes are good for a quick bike clean. If really grimey, gently hose off the worst shake the water off and then baby wipe away the crud. If not too bad, just baby wipes alone. They'll also work on the drive-train and rear sprockets. use also to clean the chain using the mickle method:

Wipe, apply oil to chain, wipe off, apply oil, wipe off, go ride.

Using baby wipes is pretty quick and 'clean' way to keep everthing in good shape, as it takes soo little time it can be done fairly frequently.

If it's a real mud bath then I'll use hot soapy (Fairy Liquid) and an old sock worn on the hand to get the worsts crud off before the baby wipe job.

Final tip. Once your bike gleams like a new pin, spray with Mrs Sheen and it'll be much easier to clean next time.

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, baby wipes. The alcohol removes grime and you can use them like dental floss under cables and in corners of the frame, just like on a baby. Get generic ones from Morries etc at £1/100, not poncy scented things from Mothercare.

I think this was one of Auntie Helen's Top Tips.

Marin Maniac

Norm said:
I use Castrol Greentec motorcycle cleaner, available from Halfords. Spray on and leave for a bit, agitate any really bad areas with a brush (I use a horse hoof brush, as it is all plastic and so cannot scratch the paint, about 99p from a saddlery) then rinse off. Make sure you rinse it all off, though, it's not good if left on permanently.

Oil the chain and other moving parts (derailleurs etc) after using any degreaser. :sad:

I would be wary about using any of these types of cleaners as they are generally agressive.

Bucket of car wash and sponge and off you go.

longers

Legendary Member
The advice about Mr Sheen is a very good tip. It does make it easier to clean next time round.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
potsy said:
Can't wait til Fossy sees this thread he'll write you a 2 page essay on it:biggrin:

Cheeky..... :biggrin:

Sponge, car shampoo and a bucket, and maybe a brush. Easy

Mr Sheen is excellent stuff (original flavour of course).

And an oily rag to run over chain, chain rings, jockey wheels, and in between sprockets.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ianrauk said:

Come round with a few bottles of beer to use my bike stand and tools to clean your bike.. then I slowly interject because I think you are not doing it properly and ending up cleaning the whole bloody thing... Right Andy? :biggrin:

Oh and it has been known for me to carry a cleaning cloth on rides and have a mid ride cleaning session.. right Auntie Helen....:evil:

The longest time I have spent cleaning my bikes is 5 hours.. :sad:

Blimey...I'm obviously much quicker with my tin of Mr Sheen.........:sad:

potsy

Rambler
ianrauk said:

Come round with a few bottles of beer to use my bike stand and tools to clean your bike.. then I slowly interject because I think you are not doing it properly and ending up cleaning the whole bloody thing... Right Andy? :biggrin:

Oh and it has been known for me to carry a cleaning cloth on rides and have a mid ride cleaning session.. right Auntie Helen....:evil:

The longest time I have spent cleaning my bikes is 5 hours.. :sad:

fossyant said:
Cheeky..... :sad:

Sponge, car shampoo and a bucket, and maybe a brush. Easy

Mr Sheen is excellent stuff (original flavour of course).

And an oily rag to run over chain, chain rings, jockey wheels, and in between sprockets.
How am I gonna make that last 5 hours Fossy?
Just done my 2 with some wipes and a bit of wd40,only did it out of shame after what Ian wrote:smile:

Top Bottom