Cleaning Bar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

I managed to get some very black grease on my new, very orange, bar tape. Any suggestions on what might get it off, or at least make it a bit better? Are solvents going to wreck the (cork) tape?

johnnyh

Veteran
baby wipes!

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thankyou all. I shall try each and every one of these and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10.

zacklaws

Guru
After using WD40 to try and clean my bar tape I would be careful with any solvent based product and if used, use it sparingly, WD40 removed the adhesive on my tape allowing it to just turn on the bars, it took about a month before it stuck itself back down again.

In the end I gave up worrying about my white bar tape getting dirty as its unavoidable out on the roads, when you start getting your hands dirty with replacing chains, repairing punctures, food etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Headgardener - yes Fairy is best, squirt a blob onto the cloth, and scrub away on the bar tape - works a treat on my pale blue Cinelli cork ribbon.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I forgot to report back... went with GT85 on a rag followed by a fairy liquid scrubbing. Good as new, rating: 10/10

Top Bottom