Cleaning Bar Tape

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by colinr, 5 May 2010.

1. colinr

colinr Well-Known Member

I managed to get some very black grease on my new, very orange, bar tape. Any suggestions on what might get it off, or at least make it a bit better? Are solvents going to wreck the (cork) tape?

2. johnnyh

johnnyh Veteran

baby wipes!

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Damp cloth and washing up liquid

4. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

WD40 on a rag

5. redddraggon

redddraggon Blondie

Nail brush

6. OP
    OP
    colinr

colinr Well-Known Member

Thankyou all. I shall try each and every one of these and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10.

7. MadoneRider1991

MadoneRider1991 Über Member

white sprite on a rage :blush:

about 8 out of 10!

8. Fossy's sugestion would seem to be the best. First wipe with damp cloth then work in small amount of washing up liquid or Swarfega(Fairy best if using washing up liquid). Rinse throughly then park bike in sun to dry.

9. zacklaws

zacklaws Veteran

After using WD40 to try and clean my bar tape I would be careful with any solvent based product and if used, use it sparingly, WD40 removed the adhesive on my tape allowing it to just turn on the bars, it took about a month before it stuck itself back down again.

In the end I gave up worrying about my white bar tape getting dirty as its unavoidable out on the roads, when you start getting your hands dirty with replacing chains, repairing punctures, food etc

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Headgardener - yes Fairy is best, squirt a blob onto the cloth, and scrub away on the bar tape - works a treat on my pale blue Cinelli cork ribbon.

11. OP
    OP
    colinr

colinr Well-Known Member

I forgot to report back... went with GT85 on a rag followed by a fairy liquid scrubbing. Good as new, rating: 10/10

12. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

get black tape next time :ohmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice