Cleaning helmet straps (mould)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quick update for anyone who cares...this worked: water/milton solution 10:1 in a spray bottle. Bit of agitation with a sponge. Leave for 15 mins and rinsed in a bucket of clean water.
OK, but what will you do after your sweaty rides? recently I started sprinkling water on my wet helmet, after 1st spraying it with my own special sauce. the covid pandemic got me mixing my own mixture of rubbing alcohol & creamy hand soap in a spray bottle. so a few mists of that then some water from my bottle. then I leave that to air dry. anyway I was thinking a little "prevention" might help

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The cheapest supermarket vinegar is good at killing mould and bacteria. Soak overnight.

Others might tell you to do away with the helmet and enjoy the breeze through your hair.

Tom B

Guru
Every now and again I just dunk the whole helmet in a bucket with warm water and a few bottle sterilising tabs and leave it to soak a while. More to shift the sweat out of the foam padding than for mould, but they never go mouldy. Nothing worse than on a wet ride after a period of hot weather the rain washing the concentrated sweat out of the padding and into your mouth and eyes... It's foul.

Lovacott

Über Member
Every now and again I just dunk the whole helmet in a bucket with warm water and a few bottle sterilising tabs and leave it to soak a while. More to shift the sweat out of the foam padding than for mould, but they never go mouldy. Nothing worse than on a wet ride after a period of hot weather the rain washing the concentrated sweat out of the padding and into your mouth and eyes... It's foul.
I use Steradent tablets for all sorts of things (and no, I don't have false gnashers before you ask).

Brilliant for getting tea stains out of cups or mould from fabrics.

Leaves things smelling minty fresh.😄

Tom B

Guru
Brilliant for getting tea stains out of cup.....

WHAT!!! That's where the flavour is...... Sacrilege!

Top Bottom