Cleaning matt paint and plinking Mavic wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Firstly, my best bike has a pale coloured matt finish, which holds dirt and sems to magically attract any small bits of oil on the cleaning rag, leaving a black streak. I've tried IPA, paraffin and wet wipes and even Mr Sheen, which makes the bike smell lovely, but nothing works really efficiently. I'm even thinking of getting it gloss lacquered.

Any ideas?

Secondly my son has quite new entry-level Mavic Ksyrium wheels and he's getting frustrated at the plink plink plink noises that come from the rear wheel on climbs. My Ksyrium SLs do the same, though oiling the hub ends of the spokes and the crossovers has helped.

Anybody else got this? Would it be worth tightening every spoke nipple by a quarter turn to re-tension the wheel?

jim55

Guru
Baby wipes for cleaning

Consider a clear lacquer. Matt paint is never satisfactory.

As for the plink plink noises, it is usually the RD cage just-just brushing on the spokes when in the lowest gear at the back (big sprocket) and pumping up a hill. This is due to a) tight clearances between the spokes and b) not enough spokes in the wheel. Actually, it is a combination of the two.

You can easily confirm if this is the case by attempting to mimic the noises when in the second lowest gear. If you can't do it there, your wheels don't have enough spokes.

You won't be able to see this happening on the workstand and it will appear as if there is plenty of clearance.

A third reason for this happening is due to a specific way the right hand side spokes cross but offhand I can't remember of the right hand side on those wheels even cross.

Conform the second gear test first, then we'll take it from there.

rb58

Enigma
Secondly my son has quite new entry-level Mavic Ksyrium wheels and he's getting frustrated at the plink plink plink noises that come from the rear wheel on climbs. My Ksyrium SLs do the same, though oiling the hub ends of the spokes and the crossovers has helped
I had the same with both sets of Ksyrium Elites I've had. I oiled as you have, but also dribbled a small amount into the threads where they enter the rim. They've been silent ever since - even when honking up a hill.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I have a Matt black carbon frame and what works for me is Mr Muscle glass cleaner sprayed onto a micro fibre cloth. It removes dirt and any greasy fingerprints really well.

lpretro1

Firstly, my best bike has a pale coloured matt finish, which holds dirt and sems to magically attract any small bits of oil on the cleaning rag, leaving a black streak. I've tried IPA, paraffin and wet wipes and even Mr Sheen, which makes the bike smell lovely, but nothing works really efficiently. I'm even thinking of getting it gloss lacquered.

Any ideas?

Secondly my son has quite new entry-level Mavic Ksyrium wheels and he's getting frustrated at the plink plink plink noises that come from the rear wheel on climbs. My Ksyrium SLs do the same, though oiling the hub ends of the spokes and the crossovers has helped.

Anybody else got this? Would it be worth tightening every spoke nipple by a quarter turn to re-tension the wheel?
No need to do anything to tension - just a little dribble of oil on the spoke heads - ignore the technical chit-chat offered by some

Top Bottom