Cleaning the cassette-what methods have you found helpful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I take the cassette off and stick it in an ultrasonic bath with some Jizer degreaser. Some people think this is appalling.

Buck

Guru
Old micro fibre cloth and simply slot it between the cogs and rub back and forth.
A quick spray with wd40 or a similar product will loosen grime

This works best for me too. I’ll tend to use a degreaser rather than WD40 but the same principle.

Cassette off, drop it into a suitably sized container with diesel in it. Swish the cassette about, leave to soak for half an hour, swish about again, maybe use a brush if you're really particular; remove from diesel bath and rise with hot soapy water, replace on bike.

Diesel here too
Old tooth brushes work

I have found, in the past, that using diesel in those chain-scrub baths tends to melt them after a while (unless it's the type of plastic used)

I've concluded that the best way to clean a cassette is to fetch it in to the hoose.:laugh:
20171231_102335.jpg

What better things is there to be doing on a Saturday night? :smile:

dodgy

Old kitchen dishwash brush, some neat FS1 and scrub, you'll soon develop a technique where the cassette rotates just enough to reveal the next dirty bit as you go.
Less than 60 seconds work, no faff. I used to use an old T-Shirt around a credit card, works ok when travelling on holiday, but nowhere near as effective as the above method.

bpsmith

Veteran
Muc Off cassette brush for me. Long bristles specifically designed for the task. Cheap too, especially during their Black Friday 50% sales every year!

Edit: Until I got the Karcher OC3 recently. The last two rides I have literally hosed the whole bike down Followed by using a blower to get the water off afterwards. Bike looks spotless, even after really cruddy road conditions.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Take cassette off bike throw it in a bowl of degreaser ,swish around a bit use paintbrush ,rinse under tap.Allow to dry. Re fit on bike looking like a new one.

In between times I cut rags into strips fold them and pull back and for between cogs.I wouldn't put degreaser anywhere near the hubs.

Exactly what I do. In fact me and @Banjo are twins. If the cassette isn’t too dirty, I floss it with a wet wipe. Sparkly.

si_c

Guru
Squirt on some degreaser, then use a microfibre cloth, use the edges to get between the sprockets. Hose off. Repeat annually.

Top Bottom