Cleaning the cassette-what methods have you found helpful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sometimes take the wheels off so I can clean the hidden area of the frame. This also gives full access to the brake blocks without removing them. With quick release scewers it's a breeze.

A set of small bottle brushes works quite well for cleaning in between the brake mechanisms.

But, what about the cassette? The best I have come up with is several lengths of garden twine/string. I pull a length back & forth between each gear and it works quite well even if a bit tedious.

So, anyone got any unique ways of cassette cleaning?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use an old CD wrapped in cloth doused with Mr Sheen. Works wonders.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Old micro fibre cloth and simply slot it between the cogs and rub back and forth.
A quick spray with wd40 or a similar product will loosen grime

wonderloaf

Veteran
Take it off the wheel and put it in the dishwasher and then in the microwave at full power to dry it off.

Only joking, don't put it in the microwave.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Take cassette off bike throw it in a bowl of degreaser ,swish around a bit use paintbrush ,rinse under tap.Allow to dry. Re fit on bike looking like a new one.

In between times I cut rags into strips fold them and pull back and for between cogs.I wouldn't put degreaser anywhere near the hubs.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If I take the wheel out to clean then it's rag strips (old socks are great but I don't wear out socks fast enough to use them all the time) and work it between the cogs. If not - which is most of the time because I'm lazy- then it's a soapy washing up brush and nice hot water.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cassette off, drop it into a suitably sized container with diesel in it. Swish the cassette about, leave to soak for half an hour, swish about again, maybe use a brush if you're really particular; remove from diesel bath and rise with hot soapy water, replace on bike.

Top Bottom