1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning your bike

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by urbanrider, 17 Sep 2007.

1. urbanrider

urbanrider New Member

Had it since 27 July and to be honest haven't cleaned it at all (expect wiping down the frame) I'm off today and thinking of getting one of them chain baths but i would like to know if its ok to wash the bike with soapy water first ;)

u.R

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

yes. But some washing up liquids contain fair bit of salt, so make sure you rinse it off..

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I'd save the soapy water until after you've cleaned the chain. Those chain baths are good at degreasing the chain, but you'll get oily degreaser everywhere. I have one, but I've found that an old toohbrush is as good and not any messier.

So if I were you I'd clean the chain first, then clean the bike. Wash the soap off with clean water and dry the chain, before re-lubricating.

4. OP
    OP
    urbanrider

urbanrider New Member

thanks for the advice guys

5. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

An old paint brush with the bristles cut down works well for cleaning the chain and a bit of car shampoo in the bucket of water is kinder to your bike than washing up liquid.

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Surely one's butler does that as part of his duties?

7. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I was gently told off by my LBS for not keeping the rims of my bike clean.... it was making a paste to grind down my wheels apparently. Question is ... how often do you do it, and do you just use a damp rag? I have occasionally given the whole bike a scrub with a bit of Muc Off but I don't have a regular maintenance regime (other than oiling/cleaning the chain).

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I give mine a quick spray down with the hose before I put it away, if I've been somewhere dusty or muddy. That's all it takes really.

And then give the chain a proper clean every few months.