Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there
What is the best way to clean and degrease your bike after its been out in bad weather? This is what I’ve been doing but I don’t know if its correct:
I wipe down and wash the bike using a sponge and the pink muc-off solution in hot water. I then rinse it off with cold water (I don’t use a jet wash or anything like that).
I then (as much as I possibly can without taking the bike apart) use cleaning brushes, again along with pink muc off to get into the rear derailleur and hanger. I also spray some muc-off biodegreaser into these parts.
I then degrease the chain using muc-off bio degreaser – I spray it on and run the chain through my fingers using an old rag. I also spray some bio degreaser on the cogs and the chain. After I’ve degreased the chain, I spray some GT85, then lube the chain using finish line green wet lube.
Am I doing all this correctly?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Have a hot shower, get a glass of red wine and replace your chain and rear sprocket every so often.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are probably doing a bit more than needed. I would advise you don't need degreaser and use a chain oil rarher than GT85 as it's very thin and quite wasteful on a chain.

I just wash the bikes with hot soapy water (car shampoo) then maybe a little squirt of GT85 on the mech pivots and cassette and chainring. Then I'll wipe down the cassette, chain and chainring with an old cloth. Then use a dropper bottle to oil the chain and then wipe it down. With the MTB I'll hose off mud first then muc off the frame and wheels then wash off with warm soapy water.

No degreaser.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I've always viewed degreaser as a special treat for the bike when I've taken the cassette off and stripped everything down I avoid throwing it around too much for fear of it getting into my freehub/ bottom bracket area.

S-Express

Hi there
What is the best way to clean and degrease your bike after its been out in bad weather? This is what I’ve been doing but I don’t know if its correct:
I wipe down and wash the bike using a sponge and the pink muc-off solution in hot water. I then rinse it off with cold water (I don’t use a jet wash or anything like that).
I then (as much as I possibly can without taking the bike apart) use cleaning brushes, again along with pink muc off to get into the rear derailleur and hanger. I also spray some muc-off biodegreaser into these parts.
I then degrease the chain using muc-off bio degreaser – I spray it on and run the chain through my fingers using an old rag. I also spray some bio degreaser on the cogs and the chain. After I’ve degreased the chain, I spray some GT85, then lube the chain using finish line green wet lube.
Am I doing all this correctly?

Can't really fault that at all, to be honest. Very comprehensive.

Use a jet washer and Muc off. It gives you a cracking excuse to upgrade your BB, and wheel hubs, and your frame stays nice and clean. Baby wipes are good for chain cleaning, an old toothbrush and some boot laces are good for cleaning the cassette.

Gixxerman

Guru
Use a jet washer and Muc off. It gives you a cracking excuse to upgrade your BB, and wheel hubs, and your frame stays nice and clean. Baby wipes are good for chain cleaning, an old toothbrush and some boot laces are good for cleaning the cassette.
Boot laces! I never thought of that. Genius. I use the edge of a cloth, but it keeps snagging all the time. Boot laces would be much better. Thanks for that.

G strings ( but not the wifes)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDTITE-...TTE-SPROCKET-CLEANING-STRINGS-5-/301731665870

upload_2017-2-13_14-12-18.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Boot laces! I never thought of that. Genius. I use the edge of a cloth, but it keeps snagging all the time. Boot laces would be much better. Thanks for that.
You can actually buy stuff called "gear floss" in case you don't have an ample supply of bootlaces to hand. It only costs a fiver or so for a packet of several and is great for cleaning the cassette. I did mention this a while ago but I was heckled and derided as a wasteful modernist by the dyed in the wool users of old underpants wrapped around a CD.

Edit. I see @roadrash and @Racing roadkill beat me to it. More wasteful modernists. Tut tut. That's why our landfills are full of underpants and CDs these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom