Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Washing up liquid is ok and is good for stubborn oily marks. It does strip off any polish you may have applied.

A word of caution with muck off. It can dull some paint finishes. My stem on my old mtb went matt after using muck off. Out with the car polish and it was ok.

Muck off is best used sparingly on a filthy bike like an mtb.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Detergents will not damage a carbon frame.

I know. It's just a quirk of mine!!

Gixxerman

Guru
I just looked at the safety sheet for Muc-off the famous bike cleaner, what is sodium salts?
In chemistry, a salt is an ionic compound that can be formed by the neutralisation reaction of an acid and a base.
In the case of a sodium salt, the base contains sodium (most probably NaOH (caustic soda)).
NaOH + HCl => H2O + NaCl (sodium chloride)
For a different base salt, you could replace the sodium with another metallic element, say potassium thus:
KOH + HCl => H2O + KCL (potassium chlroride)
Sodium chloride and potassium chlroride are both "salts" it is just that when joe public refer to salt they are normally referring to the sodium based one as it is common salt.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes. Apart from the bit about being 10 times the price.

Damn that is clever marketing, I pay £12 for 25 litre of TFR and the use it at about 4 to1 so basically £12 for 100 litre, should I remarket is as , Megabike Wash. I cannot wait for some of the Muc-off fans to join in.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The best thing is our bikes are clean.

Top Bottom