Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
As you know, I recently purchased my first carbon road bike and I’m very happy to say that I’m a totally changed man – I love it.

Anyway what I wanted to ask was - there is a label on the frame drawing my attention to care. Do I just clean it the normal way as I do with my other bikes (diluted muc-off, sponge, etc) or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks for your help

J

Drago

Legendary Member
The frame will be coated with a hardy epoxy, with a tough paint or lacquer atop that. Peel it off, any remaining goo can be wiped off with a small amount of suitable too remover on a rag.

Just don't use rainwater!

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
The frame will be coated with a hardy epoxy, with a tough paint or lacquer atop that. Peel it off, any remaining goo can be wiped off with a small amount of suitable too remover on a rag.

Just don't use rainwater!

I got caught in the rain yesterday on my carbon bike - will the rain have done some harm to it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the frame is matt black, don't try to clean it with anything like car polish, which contains abrasives as the abrasive material will stick in the "grain" of the matt finish and will leave chalky marks. If it's gloss lacquered, it will do no harm to clean it with Pledge or Mr Sheen furniture polish, which will keep it sparkling nicely and helps water to bead up.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
2017-01-13 13.10.33.jpg
2017-01-13 13.05.27.jpg

Clean it in the normal way. Don't worry about the £9 muck off pink rubbish which will give you about 8 goes, just stick the 80p fairy liquid in the bucket from which you get many many so many more washes.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
With a new carbon frame I avoid detergents for as long as possible. I find washing off with a hosepipe followed by lots of plain hot water and a sponge works well. Dry off and finish with Mr Sheen or Pledge.

I doubt there is a problem with detergents, it's just a silly quirk of mine. When I start to use detergents, as I do on winter bikes and my tourer, a few drops of washing up liquid is all that's needed. Rinse of with hot water and polish. The detergent isn't on long enough to do any harm.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With a new carbon frame I avoid detergents for as long as possible. I find washing off with a hosepipe followed by lots of plain hot water and a sponge works well. Dry off and finish with Mr Sheen or Pledge.

I doubt there is a problem with detergents, it's just a silly quirk of mine. When I start to use detergents, as I do on winter bikes and my tourer, a few drops of washing up liquid is all that's needed. Rinse of with hot water and polish. The detergent isn't on long enough to do any harm.

Detergents will not damage a carbon frame.

I avoid using a hose on my carbon bikes, after the premature demise of the bottom bracket on my winter Sempre. Having seen the pro teams in action cleaning bikes after Paris Roubaix, I now copy what they do. The strip the wheels off (not always necessary) and wash the frame with plenty of warmish water and a big sponge. That is about it! I usually polish up with Aldi baby wipes. The spirit they contain helps to remove greasy marks or splashes of road tar.

Top Bottom