Clearance for mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hoping someone here can shed some light on mudguard fitting for me. I have a 2013 Cannondale synapse with rim brakes. Went into Evans looking for some SKS Chromoplastic guards as I'd read they would fit my bike. They didn't have any so I bought some of Evans own brand guards to fit a 700 x 25c tyre (continental). However the front mudguard seems to wide to fit between the forks! Is it me being an idiot and it's how you fit them, or are there even narrower mudguards out there.

Thanks

P.S. The mudguards themselves are 33mm wide.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine uses SKS raceblades on her Synapse

I'm not sure a fixed mudguard will work

SKS narrows are 35mm wide so it may simply be you don't have the space in the frame for a 'proper mudguard'

https://www.evanscycles.com/sks-narrow-road-mudguard-set-700c-x-23-28c-00119432

Get Evans to help, mudguards are the work of the devil to fit!

You can get the kind with the cutout where the guard otherwise runs through the fork, passing a thin strip of metal through underneath to join the two parts of plastic. Alternatively, you could try Cruds MK3 clip ons which are slimline, but they are too flimsy for my liking and didn't last long. With the cutout types, you can expect a little road spray hitting your legs and downtube but they're better than nothing. Clearance on racing road bikes is a nightmare. Even when I got mine in, I still struggled with rubbing etc. In the end, I opted for a commuting suitable frame with generous wheel clearance, and keep the road bike for days and events where keeping dry isn't a priority. Some bikes are just not made for mudguards.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cruds, an appropriate name!
Just make sure all the fixings are extremely tightly done up (or superglue) as they fall off the cruds. I lost half the rear mudguard first time out!

Horrid things (and v expensive for what they are IMO)

OP
OP
cookie_monster72
Drop evans a line. Tell them what you have got and what you are looking for and they will help.

Chatted online and they quickly confirmed the mudguards weren't suitable due to the drop of the brakes. Also recommended the SKS raceblades as Vickster mentioned.

Top Bottom