Clearance issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Took the bike in with mudguards fitted and said 'what can I fit on that?' He said 32 or 35.
I guess my advice to ask LBS backfired. There is some adjustment to be had in the guards. But I doubt they will go from not able to turn all the way to acceptable. Let us know how you fare with 32s

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Tried to adjust, not much movement.

Your advice was good - I think the fact I went to Halfords played a part :whistle:

young Ed

Veteran
Ed, if you ever do a club run, for the sake of the other riders stay at the back, and a bit more.
just thinking of joining my local club, do i need to stay at the back or fit crud road racers? as for the sanity/normal part i will try to keep that under control :tongue:
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
@screenman, do i need guards even in the summer to ride anywhere but the back on club runs? or just the winter
Cheers Ed

It is I feel common manners to use guards on a club run, even though many people do not do so. Just an old fashioned idea of mine I suppose that goes back to when we had square wheels in bikes. On a dry day you use your best bike, which of course does not have guards fitted^_^

young Ed

Veteran
It is I feel common manners to use guards on a club run, even though many people do not do so. Just an old fashioned idea of mine I suppose that goes back to when we had square wheels in bikes. On a dry day you use your best bike, which of course does not have guards fitted^_^
my best one is the only bike that would ever be seen anywhere near a club run, the other one would get laughed at and then they would all pedal away from me very fast! :cry:
Cheers Ed

outlash

also available in orange
How did you resolve it?

I changed tyres! Well sort of :smile:. The 35's are semi slicks that I use for when I take my cross bike off road, the guards (SKS longboards) state that they can take that width of tyre but they don't take these. So the bike currently has guards and 25 durano's, plenty of clearance.

Tony.

young Ed

Veteran
do i also need a front mud gaurd for club runs?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Nightmare!

Fitted front tyre (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 32c) and although it turned with mudguard on the clearance was minimal. Could hear rubbing noise every revolution!

Then, couldn't even get the back one in. In the end had to remove both mudguards to fit the 32c.

Aaaggghhh!!!!

However, just completed 52 mile charity cycle in terrible conditions and it's not a deal breaker having mudguards. Probably won't be putting it back on at the moment.

Although, given the number of bolts etc, probably couldn't!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The ride was awesome! Only ever commuted before so cycling socially was brilliant to be honest.

Also much fitter than I thought. Would get knackered playing football for half an hour, but really surprised myself today given how hard it was for a lot of the group. I must have developed leg muscles or something!

Although, I suspect getting off my face on a Race Pack of High 5 had a lot to do with it!!

This is definitely just the start!!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Aw man!!!

Watching 'Malificent' with the kids, massive explosion in hall not unlike a gun shot.

My tyre has exploded. Not checked the tyre itself but reckon the tube has exploded. What's that all about??

Imagine that happened today!!!

Custom24

Über Member
Have you exceeded max psi? That's what happened when I unwittingly did that.
Also, just my opinion, but mudguards are well worth having for winter use. They reduce the amount of crap your drivetrain is exposed to, and thus lengthen its life.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Had them at about 75 psi, so should be fine.

Really liked the bigger tyres, so if it means having to ditch mudguards to be more comfortable I'm going for it!

Top Bottom