Cleat wear & tear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've had the same cleats on my shoes since I bought them almost a year ago. Over the last few months, the cleats have been squeaking against the pedals pretty badly, so I've been having to apply some lube on a daily basis to stop it driving me nuts. I've tightened up the release to stop things moving about too much, but it's not helping.

So - is it time to buy some new cleats ? How can you tell when they're too worn ?

And where can I get cheap SPD cleats ? I've seen some but £10 or more for two little bits of metal seems rather excessive - I'd be better off waiting for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op sale and buying new pedals just to get the free cleats !

skwerl

"How can you tell when they're too worn ?"

when you have to apply some lube on a daily basis to stop it driving you nuts

you're lucky you don't have egg-beaters. those cleats last 4/5 months at best

gkerr4

yep - you need new cleats

and yes - you probably might as well buy new pedals while you are at it.

If you are using SPD's then the shimano M520's can be had for £14 on ebay - either have new pedals if you like 520's or sell the pedals again on ebay and hope to get £8-£9 for them advertised without cleats.

monnet

Guru
gkerr4 said:

Seems a bit excessive. I think a new set of cleats would be fine for now. If there are still problems with new cleats then maybe the pedals might need replacing.

A good reason for changing cleats regularly; if you leave them on too long, the allen key hole wears, and you can't get them off again. I'm hoping the LBS can help out with this one...

gkerr4

monnet;43568][quote=gkerr4 said:

Seems a bit excessive. I think a new set of cleats would be fine for now. If there are still problems with new cleats then maybe the pedals might need replacing.[/quote]

How is it excessive? - if he has to buy cleats at £10 and the whole pedal assmebly with cleats cost £14 then he either gets new pedals for £4 - or sells the pedals, without cleats, on ebay - maybe gets £8 for them and then the cleats have only cost him £6

makes sense to me

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
seem a bit easily worn imho. i use look cleats, and even though they are not recessed into the sole (and i walk from bike shed to showers in them every work day) they don't wear to the point of squeaking. you do have to watch for visual signs of wear, but i had over a year out of my last set.

barq

Stick on a Giant said:
A good reason for changing cleats regularly; if you leave them on too long, the allen key hole wears, and you can't get them off again. I'm hoping the LBS can help out with this one...

I replace the bolts periodically because of the wear. The other problem which occurs is that small stones can get wedged in the hex socket so you can't get an allen key in. If you have any silicon sealant (like from doing bathrooms or kitchens) a blob of that keeps the crap out and can be unpicked easily when you want to remove the bolt.

monnet

Guru
gkerr4;43635][quote=monnet;43568][quote=gkerr4 said:

Seems a bit excessive. I think a new set of cleats would be fine for now. If there are still problems with new cleats then maybe the pedals might need replacing.[/quote]

How is it excessive? - if he has to buy cleats at £10 and the whole pedal assmebly with cleats cost £14 then he either gets new pedals for £4 - or sells the pedals, without cleats, on ebay - maybe gets £8 for them and then the cleats have only cost him £6

makes sense to me[/QUOTE]

Financially maybe not, but fitting new cleats is a big enough hassle as it is without adding in fitting pedals as well. Although if the pedals are that cheap it seems they are more or less designed to be disposable which would raise questions in my head as to the quality of them.

gkerr4

monnet;43853][quote=gkerr4;43635][quote=monnet;43568][quote=gkerr4 said:

makes sense to me[/quote]

Financially maybe not, but fitting new cleats is a big enough hassle as it is without adding in fitting pedals as well. Although if the pedals are that cheap it seems they are more or less designed to be disposable which would raise questions in my head as to the quality of them.[/quote]

I know what you are saying - although in fairness the RRP on th 520's is £29.99 - but there are a few places on ebay selling them at £14ish - I'm talking about these ones:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360008792

they are a fair old chunk of metal for the money!

Keith Oates

Janner
I've done over 20,000Km with the pedals and cleats I use on the commuting bike and they are still resonable, although I noticed recently wear has started to show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gkerr4

I'm guessing thats a fair bit of touring mileage in there?

I would imagine that a commuter will place more strain on the pedal / cleat interface than through touring mileage - like the clutch on a car - heavy miles once engaged are no trouble - it's the little short trips and engaging / disengaging at every junction that wears them out!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's MUD which wears them out! The SPD pedals and cleats on my MTB only really last 1000 miles before they're knackered. That's wet rides in gritty Lancashire for yer.

TimO

Guru
gkerr4 said:
I know what you are saying - although in fairness the RRP on th 520's is £29.99 - but there are a few places on ebay selling them at £14ish - I'm talking about these ones:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360008792

they are a fair old chunk of metal for the money!

I wouldn't pay £30 for M520's even from Wiggle. They sell the same pedal, only unboxed for £20.99. They come in a plastic bag, but it's the same pedals, with cleats, reflector thingies (should you want them), instructions etc.

On-One have the M520s as well, for £20.09, and I'm sure others have similar priced ones (although you may have to pay P&P).

Top Bottom