Cleats? Are they all created equal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

juli_AZ

Hello! I have what should be an easy question. I have an old bike and I want to get started riding again. 1990 Diamond Back Centurion TG Road Bike. I have the Time Sport clipless pedals, but I can't find my riding shoes - which, or course, have the cleats attached to them. I know I need to purchase new road shoes with 3 holes to attach to the shoe, but I have no idea which cleats I need and/or where to get them. Are they all the same cleats for road bikes? Thank you for any help!
upload_2015-1-14_12-51-44.png

LSAF2011

Wow they look old, but cheap pedals at PlanetX daily deal today. Wrong side of payday for me, shame really, but pedals normally come with cleats.
Cheap shoes from sports direct

OP
OP
juli_AZ

juli_AZ

Well shoot!! I guess 20 year old pedals DO go outta style. Thank you all for your help. So now I'm in the market for pedals and shoes. Is there anything anyone would recommend? What do you think about using the same pedals / shoes for both road biking and mountain biking? EDIT: make that 25 years old!!! Where does time go...

vickster

Legendary Member
SPD pedals are fine for any bike, might want shimano sh56 if wanting to get feet out easily when mountain biking. Get some MTB style shoes, then you can walk in them. Specialized tahoes or similar a good option, with shimano m520 or m540 pedals (others if you want to wear normal shoes possibly too)

Clipless FAQ in beginners section good for an overview

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
SPDs would be my recommendation too.

AndyRM

XOXO
Have you tried EBay for new/NOS cleats? More pics might help identify the pedals, and whether Time might have a newer equivalent cleat.

SPDs would be a good alternative, but I think it would be a shame to lose some of the retro charm.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Time still makes pedals, but they are quite expensive, and you may be able to get shoes and pedals for that amount in SPD which is much more prevalent.
How is that bridge holding up?(Old London Bridge, that is.)

OP
OP
juli_AZ

juli_AZ

Time still makes pedals, but they are quite expensive, and you may be able to get shoes and pedals for that amount in SPD which is much more prevalent.
How is that bridge holding up?(Old London Bridge, that is.)
Gravity - The London Bridge was hit a few weeks ago by a truck and took out about 40 feet of railing. Yep! Lake Havasu had RAIN and someone didn't know how to handle the slippery terrain! The city had to hire divers to retrieve the balusters & spindles in the Bridgewater Channel. So, I guess one COULD say... "The London Bridge is Falling Down" once again!

Top Bottom