Cleats: did you ever fall over?

Did you ever fall over because you were still clipped in?

• Yep, done it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No (not yet)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Once on first ride out on SPDs, 2 miles from home, slowed down to admire some cows (as you do) and fell over. Second time on MTB across a field...big puddle...deeper than i thought...bike stops in middle, I fall sideways into puddle.

OP
OP
Membrane

Membrane

magnatom said:
Maybe if I cycle in front of you, I will provoke you to fall off Membrane.....:evil:

Nah, I'd wizz past you (going "toot, toot") on your left, acres of space there :biggrin:

The closest I came to falling over was when my chain dropped off my granny when going up a mountain. I suddenly found myself pedalling in a vacuum, and being a typical single tasking bloke I couldn't handle wondering about where my drive had gone and realising that my rapidly decreasing speed required me to unclip at the same time. I only just managed.

domtyler

Über Member
I have had at least four or five clipless moments.

Last time was about six months ago, after work I was going through my garden gate on my fixie and tried to both go through the gate and shut it in one smooth movement while still clipped in. Unfortunately the gods conspired against me and I ended up in/on the middle of a large shrub, still clipped in with bike on top of me. I could not get my leg into position to unclip either which was the worst bit so ended up staying like that for at least five minutes.
:evil::blush::biggrin::blush::blush:

betty swollocks

large member
Years ago I used to cycle to college in Reading. This involved negotiating the A4 at around nine in the morning. It was congested, as you'd expect.
One morning I'd sailed imperiously through the queues of traffic and arrived at some traffic lights: couldn't get my foot out of the left cleat and toppled sideways. At that stage in my life I used to wear 'rockskins': these were skintight lycra rock climbing tights and came in all sorts of bright colours. So the good, wholesome and unsuspecting commuters of reading were, that day, treated to the unedifying sight of a cyclist in fluorescent pink tights with black leopard-print spots on, trying to untangle himself from his bike.

I shudder to think of it even now:blush:

SamNichols

When I was on SPDs I never had a single fall - with multi-release cleats, it is all very easy. Then, for reasons unknown to myself still, I changed over to Look Keos. First time out I fell over at a junction, got stuck in the frame and ended up lying in the grass verge giggling for a couple of minutes. When it happens, because of the speed you're going at, it's all very comical indeed.

Got clipless when they first came out, first LOOK then SPD, no probs, no falls. My SPD shoes eventually died so I went back to toe clips and straps until I could afford new shoes. First traffic light, twist foot...........crunch.

Mine was stopping smoothly on a club run and unclip my left foot, as usual... Guy pulls up next to me, on my left, has his own clipless moment and fall into me. I go over on the right, landing on a Go-Gel which promtly exploded in my jersey pocket!

User482 said:
I crashed into the window of the bike shop that I had just purchased them from. Somewhat embarrassing...

Particularly as the salesman had said, "Only a complete moron can fall over with these." :evil:

Tetedelacourse

Twice for me:

1. pulling up at lights next to a much more accomplished cyclists. Had time to say "all right" before hitting the pavement from stationery. He burbled something back at me and I said "f**king cleats eh?" before he rode off, leaving me crumpled, humiliated.

2. on a ride with a pal on HIS first clipless ride. Took right foot out, fell to the left. Tried to drag him with me but failed.

Mine are SPD-SL I think.

Joe

Über Member
Tales of clipless falls never fail to amuse :evil:
I've done it twice (on the same ride). One was at a right turn. I had been concentrating so much on finding a gap in the traffic on my side of the road that when I realised a car was coming the other way and I stopped, I totally forgot about my new (second ride) clippless pedals!
Second was a little later on the same ride when I came to a stop on a sideways sloped road (the turn from Ditchling Road to Coldean Hill for you locals) and upclipped on the upward facing side. Cue slow motion toppling the other way before managing to unclip.
Both in full view of traffic, naturally.
I've yet to see another cyclist fail to unclip and go down. I keep my eyes peeled though;)
I'm switching to a new clipless system soon, so may well feel the wrath of the clipless gods once more:blush:

walker

After riding clipless for about 3 or so years, was on a club run, pulled out of a junction without too much momentum, got to the other side of the road clipped in at almost a standstill and just fell into a bush, Highly amusing as the bush was on top of a big drop

mondobongo

Über Member
Its that little moment when you do it at slow speeds when you realise you are going and there is bugger all you can do about it. First time out clipless did a slow topple on a canal towpath in front of an amused bunch of fishermen wouldn't mind but had only slowed because one of them had his probably very expensive carbon fibre pole across the path.
Moderate speed off road are hilarious when you cant get out of the other pedal and one of your mates has to untangle you.

Top Bottom