Cleats: did you ever fall over?

Did you ever fall over because you were still clipped in?

• Yep, done it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No (not yet)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As some know I'm about to go clipless but I've ridden clipped for many a year and my most embarrasing moment involved my party trick of cycling up to the gate where I lived and nudging it hard with the front wheel, whereupon it would swing open and then shut behind me as I cycled through, virtually without stopping. The trick was not to hit it too hard as it would swing shut on the back wheel and not to hit it too soft otherwise there was no room between gate and car.

It worked exceptionally well until, you guessed it, someone latched the gate one night. I hit the gate as per usual and was surprised to see nothing happen. xx( In fact so surprised that I didn't even try to release my feet but fell graciously sideways at a kind of slow motion replay speed.

A quick scrabble and I was on my feet and through the gate at embarrassed speed but not before a drunken cheer and loud clapping had rang out from the 10 blokes standing at the bus stop! What was that said my sister as I came in. Oh nothing I said, just some drunks outside.

yenrod

If anyone remembers the old time equipe type of cleat with a 4way bolt yet 2 seperate types of cleat.

Whilst descending a hill, wide, not much traffic around about 4pm good brightness not winter or such like....

I went over once. In some way the bolt holding the front cleat had become lodged in the front middle section - which wasn't the best happening to get the foot out...

Then it was made all the more embarrasssing as a group of people shouted from a car 'if I was OK'....

I would of paid LOTS of money for that floor to open up !

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I can't remember where the story came from, I think it may have been MTB Britain.

Anyway, a clipless virgin sails up to the traffic lights, promptly forgets about his intimate foot/pedal interface and crashes to the ground next to a BMW.

The driver casually buzzed the window down before shouting "you wanna get yourself some stabilizers mate" before driving off, hooting with laughter :tongue:

Still, I'm saying nothing. I fitted my first ever clipless pedals today too xx(

Joe

Über Member
I wonder where the highest concentration of clipless falls could be found? It's happened to me (and most of us going by this poll) but I've never seen it in real life. I'd love to record them and make a youtube classic:biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just follow me round for the week, should be plenty to keep you going I would think :tongue:

I've got the memory capacity of a frozen pea at the best of times...............xx(

gbb

Legendary Member
Joe said:
I wonder where the highest concentration of clipless falls could be found? It's happened to me (and most of us going by this poll) but I've never seen it in real life. I'd love to record them and make a youtube classic:biggrin:

Anywhere where you have to stop...and not even suddenly.
Both of my moments were when i was a clipless novice, both as i rode up to a point where i had to stop...twist foot to dis-engage...no :tongue: it wont go..:sad:...
On one of those occasions i unceremoniously slid down a pole i was desperately trying to hold onto...right in front of about 6 cars xx(

Funny thing is, i had to make a quick unexpected stop the other day. In an instant, twist and foot out...without even thinking.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've had 2 clipless falls (why do they always happen in slow motion?) and one fall where i went to get off my bike, caught my tights on my saddle and went arse over tit, much to the amusement of a WVM who just about managed to ask if i hurt anything through his laughter. "only my pride mate".

i have and its fun you have to grin to your self but it f***ing hurts.

Panter, if its your first time with clips ride as you would do but with clipping in and out as your going along it will help.

just jim

Pray you fall to the left (onto a nice soft verge) and not almost nearly to the right as I did on a busy stretch of the A9 this summer. That were a close one.

i forgot to add this.

ive been riding with cleats for ten or so years now but the last time i came off was ..... 2 weeks ago. Ill tell you the days advents bad day at work (the boss being a s**t) so head to the pub with all 2 over staff 5.30/6pm. get out the at... round 12 say good night to all and head off.

The bike fills a bit odd? ar s**t i had forgot i had changed it from freewheel to fixie. so im heading home down by the river in york. there is a small hump back bridge at a very sharp r hand bend i get to the top and stop i cant move as im in fixie so over i go.a big heap on the bridge still cliped in and ..... siting on my bike xx(:blush:

bonj2

spandex said:
i forgot to add this.

ive been riding with cleats for ten or so years now but the last time i came off was ..... 2 weeks ago. Ill tell you the days advents bad day at work (the boss being a s**t) so head to the pub with all 2 over staff 5.30/6pm. get out the at... round 12 say good night to all and head off.

"yes... every profession has its.... shits!" xx(

Panter

Just call me Chris...
spandex said:
Panter, if its your first time with clips ride as you would do but with clipping in and out as your going along it will help.

Cheers Buddy, I'll try that.

The mechanic at the LBS told me to practice on the bike in the from room. He said clip in and out untill its second nature. Then, keep on doing it at least another 100 times.

Well, I've done about 20 but then got too bored. TBH though, I actually struggled to clip-in to start with :tongue:

I've got the tension backed right off and its easy to unclip, I think when I have "my moment" it will be because I've forgotten rather than anything else.
Still, hopefully I'll fall on something soft and not the dual carrigeway as said above :sad:

I just hope its worth it..............................xx(

Top Bottom