Cleats for long distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think there are more contributing variables then just distance and cleat type. Weather, effort levels, crucially - width of the shoe being enough to cater for slight expansion of the foot, sock thickness... etc.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How far do you ride on them?

furthest is 113 miles

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've never used anything but 2 bolt SPDs. I've done up to 400km with them and while my entire body was suffering at the end of that I don't remember my feet being particularly bad. They probably were, but were drowned out by the rest of my discomfort. Such big distances were just one-offs. 200km (120 miles) is my regular limit, more usually 100 miles. My feet do get sore sometimes, but sometimes they don't. as @Sittingduck says there are so many contributing variables.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I'm still riding long distance, and this is making me feel old ... ]

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-realisation-your-getting-old.251274/post-6769951

Edit: To answer the question, I do have the same shoes but I also invest in another pair some time ago - both SPD, for my audax & tourer. I still ride the same Look pedals (read cleat) with Carnac shoes on my 'race' bikes... not that I race. So basically, I've stuck with SPDs for longer distances... I'm not sure I even experimented with it. Bit of a waste of a thread really.... :whistle:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I always ride in SPD cleats as they are more suited to my style of riding.

Some years ago i tried SPD-SL and idk if it was my imagination, but i think i felt better power transfer and a more comfortable platform.

Theoretically i think it should not make sense that the SL is more comfortable assuming the sole of the shoe is hard enough, but thats what i found. Ps: the shoes i wore were in the £100 range, Specialized, for both the SPD and the SL version.

Edit: ps i only ride up to about 100 miles though so may be different for OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom