cleats - when should they be changed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
i got shimano cleats (the yellow ones) on r077 shoes...they look ok for now...the left one is more worn than the right as its my unclipping foot i know i can swap them over but just need to know for when the time comes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When you start pulling out of them or they rattle round in the pedal. Or if really tatty.

Edge705

you'll know when its time to change them you wont be able to click in the pedal normaly the front bit wears away first thats when it then becomes difficult to engage the pedal

Don't worry about the cleats looking tatty - they only connect in three places and only one of those can get damaged from walking.

The upper front lip and the back only get worn from use. That leaves a bit right in the middle of the cleat (level with the axle).

nhoj

Don't wait until your left foot slips out before swapping them over. No harm in swapping them over regularly so they both wear at the same rate.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
And check the screws!! the heads fell off 2 of mine, just after I'd done a 200k audax so I was glad it didn't happen en-route:eek:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm only on my second set of cleats, but I knew I needed more when I struggled to unclip!

The screws have never moved in 14 months. I don't have a torque wrench, and may have put them in quite tight.

Top Bottom