Clever idea needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
...oh...I was going to say something about filling the Sahara desert with solar pannells...nevermind...

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Surely it shouldn't need cleaning before every ride?

You'd need gold plate or something fairly inert, nickel maybe, to prevent corrosion. By the way, silicone sealant emits acetic acid during cure, which may have made the corrosion worse.

sittingbull

Veteran
Clean each contact surface with sandpaper etc.

Add a small blob of fresh solder to each contact to slightly raise the profile and plate any remaining corrosion. Use as normal.

Alternatively apply a small dab of copper (conductive) grease to each contact to deter further corrosion and re-apply when/if necessary.

Tim Hall

Which computer is it? It looks like a Cateye. If so I've probably got a spare bracket. I'd dab vaseline on the terminals to keep them nice, in the hope that the vaseline will be squidged away by the action of the computer being clicked in.

wisdom

Guru
Interesting. I have a cateye on each bike been cycling in all weathers they are at least 4 years old and are like new.wonder what has caused that level of corrosion

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Superior long term fix = GPS! (No contacts to worry about, and much more useful.)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Clean each contact surface with sandpaper etc.

Add a small blob of fresh solder to each contact to slightly raise the profile and plate any remaining corrosion. Use as normal.

Alternatively apply a small dab of copper (conductive) grease to each contact to deter further corrosion and re-apply when/if necessary.

This plus one.

compo

Veteran
[QUOTE 3587644, member: 9609"]
I would love one of the original mechanical mileometer things that used to work off a clicker attached to a spoke. If anyone even knows what I am on about, what would they be called and anything like that still available ?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like a Lucas Cyclometer. The early Lucas units were much better than the cheap plastic things that replaced them. I recall when I was young and had my first cyclometer I spent ages trying to work out how high or low the bracket should sit on the wheel nut to be accurate. It was quite a while before the penny dropped that it made no difference and the striker would hit once a revolution regardless of where the bracket was positioned.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3587644, member: 9609"]
I would love one of the original mechanical mileometer things that used to work off a clicker attached to a spoke. If anyone even knows what I am on about, what would they be called and anything like that still available ?[/QUOTE]

I might just have one at my mother's house. It was on my late father's bike but I took it off when I'd borrowed the bike temporarily because the click irritated. I think may have put it in his old rotten Carradice. I'll have a look this weekend.

Top Bottom