Click Click Click

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

My hybrid has developed an annoying 'click-click-click' sound, from somewhere around the pedal area, although I'm not sure it isn't the front wheel. Seated riding, even pedalling hard, and it's OK. But as soon as I stand in the pedals, such as hill climbing, and the clicking starts! The timing corresponds to every downward RH pedal thrust, but not the LH. It's quieter, almost non-existent in wet weather.
I'm pretty sure it's not the pedals, and I've stuffed as much oil etc into the bottom bracket as I can without taking it off or apart (no tools for this job).
I'm wondering if the grease in the front wheel needs replacing, and that the asymmetric force of the wheel on the axle caused when standing on the pedals and bouncing from side to side, is making the click?
Does a worn bottom bracket make this sound? Not only is it annoying, but I'm sure a few pedestrian heads turn when I click my way past!

Steve Saunders

From the way you describe it it sounds like it's either pedal or bottom bracket related - I had a pedal that wasn't tightened to torque and it would give a regular click-click-click when pedalling out of the saddle.
I've also had something similar caused by the front wheel quick release. Might be work un-clamping, cleaning and re-clamping it just to rule it out.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

I've had a dodgy pedal before, and if the bearings were worn then I got a slight feedback through my feet, and could 'feel' the click as well. So I'm ruling this out (although I will check them as you suggest). Not thought about the front release though?

Leodis

Veteran
I had the same issue the other week, Evans striped the pedals and greased them and it seems ok now, then again whatever they do only lasts a couple of weeks before returning.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Got a speedo with a spoke magnet? Check the clearance with the pickup. Sometimes the wheel will distort when you're out of the saddle.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Front derailleur cable against crank?

I've done it!!
Me too.:thumbsup: Also, the end of a shoelace tapping the crank on each revolution. Took ages to work that one out.:crazy:

Blurb

Über Member
Timely post OP. Mine has developed the same problem this evening. A similar issue recently was traced to pedal loosening after about 800 miles since I bought it. Tightened and it went but it's been 180 miles and it may have returned.

Sandra6

Veteran
I had a similar click click recently - it was the pedal, just needed tightening. The time before that it was the cadence part of my cycle comp that had moved itself a tiny bit.
Try all the little things and if it doesn't work, it probably is the bottom bracket.

My bike has just developed a similar issue - 3 suspects I need to look at a) the saddle (seems to click when I apply force off the bike), b) the pedal bearings and c) the bottom bracket.

I suspect c) but last time I thought it was c) it turned out to be b). I don't think the noise is right for a)

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I've also got this problem, so far I've upgraded my bottom bracket and put new pedals on the bike, I've still got a clicking noise, my bike is going in next week to get it fixed once and for all

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've also got this problem, so far I've upgraded my bottom bracket and put new pedals on the bike, I've still got a clicking noise, my bike is going in next week to get it fixed once and for all
Honestly, don't discount the chainring bolts. I found it to be cause of clicking on two separate bikes.

Top Bottom