click click click...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuttall1991

Hi

I'm getting a "click" sound at the same point of crank rotation, but only when the chain is under load/climbing and as I live and cycle rather hilly terrain, it's getting damn annoying now.

Ideas?

Thanks

could anything from creaking handlebars to seat post from crank to bottom bracket , its a process of elimination .

see hear for ideas
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

mynydd

Veteran
Could obviously be anything, but I had exactly the same issue last week. I undid the bottom bracket, took it out - re greased it all, and put it back together. Problem solved - I was very pleased with myself.
Worth looking at the pedals too (first actually)

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

yeah pedals and BB are my first thoughts too, the cable end idea is intriguing also. Gave it a very thorough clean yesterday and the click still persists so it's time to start swapping parts over...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Try pedals first, as @tyred suggests, then bottom bracket, as @mynydd suggests, and check that crankarms are tight to the spindle, and that pedals are not coming in contact with the frame, for whatever fell reason. @Globalti 's suggestion also requires investigation, as do any other FD or chain issues. Do you have a cadence sensor? Might have a look there as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it BB30? I've a fair amount of experience with clicking and clacking from these and know how to stop it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well various people will tell you that the clicking and clacking comes from movement of the bearings in the frame cups but my experience is that it's caused by movement of the crankset axle in the inner races. I've cured mine by removing the LH crank, knocking out the RH crank and chainset, cleaning everything up and applying a smear of bearing fit compound to the machined tracks on the BB axle which fit inside the bearing races. For reassembly it's probably a good idea to smear the compound inside the LH bearing and outside the RH machined track on the axle so that you don't wipe the compound off the axle as you push the end through the RH bearing. Geddit?

Doing this has completely stopped the irritating clicky clacky noise from my BB30 that was driving me mad. In evidence that that axle actually moves and frets inside the bearing races, have a careful look at this pic I took and ask yourself where the scoring and erosion on the machined bands came from, bearing in mind that the BB axle is a forging of soft alloy fitted inside bearings of much harder steel.

20140523_195613_zps9dc25291.jpg

Last edited:

andsaw

Well various people will tell you that the clicking and clacking comes from movement of the bearings in the frame cups but my experience is that it's caused by movement of the crankset axle in the inner races. I've cured mine by removing the LH crank, knocking out the RH crank and chainset, cleaning everything up and applying a smear of bearing fit compound to the machined tracks on the BB axle which fit inside the bearing races. For reassembly it's probably a good idea to smear the compound inside the LH bearing and outside the RH machined track on the axle so that you don't wipe the compound off the axle as you push the end through the RH bearing. Geddit?

Doing this has completely stopped the irritating clicky clacky noise from my BB30 that was driving me mad. In evidence that that axle actually moves and frets inside the bearing races, have a careful look at this pic I took and ask yourself where the scoring and erosion on the machined bands came from, bearing in mind that the BB axle is a forging of soft alloy fitted inside bearings of much harder steel.

I certainly get it, thanks Globalti, will now know to do when the inevitable happens.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Seems to need deeper hardening, or better tempering.

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

looking at the spec it just says BSA bottom bracket? I have a strong suspicion it is the BB as everything runs smooth and is greased up nicely, time to buy a BB spanner!

Top Bottom