clicking sound when pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I had the clicking noise on one of my bikes last year and the problem was a broken crank arm. I had to remove the arm to see the problem.

rusky

CC Addict
Help!! I was about to post a "clicking thread" 600 mile bike, so barely broken in. I have a click coming from the rear, the best explaination is that it clicks once per rotation, freewheeling or pedaling. BUT heres the problem it only does it when I am on it?

105 Gears Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t
Rims

Mavic Aksium

Tyres

Specialized Roubaix Pro II, 700x23c, Kevlar bead, 120TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection

Mavic Aksium Wheels

105 Brakes

I have a feeling that it is the wheel as it only happens when I am on the bike.

Also I can move the wheel left to right, returns to centre is that okay?

Knackered hub bearings?

OP
OP
roundisland
Found the problem with the help here took off the pedals as suggested re greased then put back on and now all I can hear is the chain running smoothly over the cogs, I am so happy :smile:

Thanks to all.

Plax

Guru
Found the problem with the help here took off the pedals as suggested re greased then put back on and now all I can hear is the chain running smoothly over the cogs, I am so happy :smile:

Thanks to all.

Beat me to the answer. I had a similar problem a while back and the solution was to tighten up the r/h pedal which was slightly loose.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mine is driving me mad. will have to take it to the LBS, all the spokes make a tune but not the same tune so maybe that.

Might try taking the brake cable off to just double check its not brake rub

Andrew_P

In between here and there
hmm found out where mine was and it was the front wheel one loose spoke, and a slight buckle.

Alun

Guru
Is there any play in the BB? Check by trying to move the pedal cranks side to side. Alternatively, I had a light clicking noise every pedal stroke, the chainring bolts were tight, but dry, a bit of grease sorted that out. Good luck.

twozeronine

This must be the season when bikes start clicking, as mine has started developing an annoying clicking as well. I've already ruled out the pedal bearings, and the chainring bolts are as tight as I can get them.

Oddly, I installed some new pedals yesterday (thouroughly greased the threads) and went for a ride, and didn't get any clicking. Then this morning it started again. :sad: It seems to only start after riding for about 5 mins or so. Gonna check some of the other suggestions later.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is there any play in the BB? Check by trying to move the pedal cranks side to side. Alternatively, I had a light clicking noise every pedal stroke, the chainring bolts were tight, but dry, a bit of grease sorted that out. Good luck.

I've just fitted new chainring bolts and it clicks once per revolution. The bolts are as tight as I dare make them (having shorn one off last week). So a noob question, which bit do I grease? Where the threads are on the inside or where the outside of the bolt will touch the chainring?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just fitted new chainring bolts and it clicks once per revolution. The bolts are as tight as I dare make them (having shorn one off last week). So a noob question, which bit do I grease? Where the threads are on the inside or where the outside of the bolt will touch the chainring?

I grease the threads, and a light smear on the outer surface - And use quality stainless ones....

martint235

Dog on a bike
I grease the threads, and a light smear on the outer surface - And use quality stainless ones....

Cheers. I did all that and still noise. I think the problem is the alloy bolts I was sold as Ultegra compatible aren't.... The stainless steel casings I took off seem slightly bigger so I've put those back on. Where I'd snapped the head off one of the old bolts, I've used an allow one with the ss casing and it all seems fine this morning. I might use all alloy bolts with the old casings (at least then I get the pimp red colour on half) but don't want to tempt fate!!!

Top Bottom