Clicking - thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Five years ago on tour, my Brompton folding pedal started clicking - oiling it didn't make any difference. Once I fitted a new one, the clicking stopped.

simongt

Guru
I've had something similar on a different bike and turned out it was my shoe clipping the crank on every rotation as it was too far inboard on the pedal. :biggrin:
Cycling home once and became aware of a regular click, click, click. Slowed, stopped nothing was obvious; until I realised that the waistcord tag on my Tracksters was hanging out and hitting the top tube - !
Doh - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
For the sake of the completionists - and for anyone looking for an answer if they're in the same boat.

I took everything apart and it turns out the chainring bolt hadn't sheared. But the threads in the crankarm had stripped.

The bolt would get to a certain level of torque then just go loose again.

So I got (and fitted) a new drive-side crankarm. While it was off, I took the opportunity to check the BB. But that was all OK.

Cycled 11 miles this morning and no more clicking.

your knee joint? :laugh:

...apart from this clicking.

As I said at the start, I was convinced that it was a chainring making the noise. It had that high-pitched ping you get from thinner metals.

Top Bottom