Climbing Bike Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
seriously fellas - climbing is all about maintaining a higher effort for a specific period of time. The higher the effort you can sustain or tolerate, the better you will climb. Various practical techniques and the bike you happen to be on are largely irrelevant. You might think it helps, but it really doesn't give you much more than a couple of seconds advantage. Training your CV system is free and will be of much more benefit.

If you think a new bike or new wheels will help, then go out and spank your credit card - it will be good for the economy. But reality will hit you quite hard when you enter a competitive event (or when you get your credit card statement)...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just my twopenneth:

Yes ability and practice does count for 90% of the speed but the bike can help in certain ways. Light, stiff wheels will help. A stiff frame will help as well, you don't want any of the power you're putting into the pedals to be used in flexing the frame, some will be though. I find my Giant with carbon seat and chainstays feels quicker than Lelly (Ti) where I can feel the rear end of the bike flex. I'd also say a shorter wheelbase will help.

At the end of the day I don't think you need a new bike but if you want one get one. More importantly is to practice, practice and then practice again and really push yourself. If you've got a mate who is better than you at climbing get them to help. If not, find a notorious hill nearby and you can bet there'll be cyclists testing themselves against it, just chase them. :tongue:

Top Bottom