Climbing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
looking at the profile virtually a constant climb , 22km with 400m of ascent average of under 2% = flat

That's right. It's because the OP is only considering the uphill ride home. When we quote metres ascent over a certain km distance, this also includes all the downhill too. So the portion of my ride today with 28m/km gives an average uphill (and downhill) gradient of 5.6%. Now that's hilly!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thats because there is 8hrs between each ride

So the inward and outward journeys are two seperate rides, if it was all in one go as a full ride then its still approx 1800ft ovet 28miles. Which is still quite a bit for a commute. Sheeeeeeesh

Maybe i should post tbe route profile of last weeks 4000ft over 41miles

BSRU

A Human Being
I went out today and the first 36km were 28m/km. The next 24km were 17m/km and that felt practically flat in comparison. 28 is too much, all I did was climb or descend for two hours
That is an insane amount of going up, my legs could take too much of that.

Maybe i should post tbe route profile of last weeks 4000ft over 41miles

Wasn't knocking you OP you asked a question, I answered it. 4000ft in 41 miles is still only 1219 meters in 65km so if a constant hill still only 2%

If half your ride was a constant up hill and half down then it would be an average up hill of 4%.

The table quoted would suggest both rides where equal.

For instance both your rides give an index of 18.x m/km suggesting hilly, however the same table would index this ride (3418ft in 41 miles) as only slightly hilly.

Whilst the table would categorise this ride (11050ft in 75 mile) as insane it was probably easier than some of the rides ColJ organisors on the forum.

So please don't be offended if I disagree with people telling you you have a hilly route, imo you don't :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Wasn't knocking you OP you asked a question, I answered it. 4000ft in 41 miles is still only 1219 meters in 65km so if a constant hill still only 2%

If half your ride was a constant up hill and half down then it would be an average up hill of 4%.

The table quoted would suggest both rides where equal.

For instance both your rides give an index of 18.x m/km suggesting hilly, however the same table would index this ride as only slightly hilly.

Whilst the table would categorise this ride as insane it was probably easier than some of the rides ColJ organisors on the forum.

So please don't be offended if I disagree with people telling you you have a hilly route, imo you don't :smile:
I personally wouldnt want to constantly ride 22miles up a 4% gradient tbh

And i honestly think and so do a lot of others on this forum that 100ft/miles is very hilly and rides arent measured over a constant gradient either.

But each to there own.

And i honestly think and so do a lot of others on this forum that 100ft/miles is very hilly and rides aren't measured over a constant gradient either.
That was basically my point. Your ride of 1350ft over 14 miles appeared to be constant climb for 11 miles so roughly 2% not hilly. If the same 1350ft of ascent had been mad over 5 ascents of 1 mile each and the rest of your ride flat, then you would still have the same 1350ft over 14 miles but then I would have classed it as a bit hilly. No offence

OP
OP
J

jowwy

That was basically my point. Your ride of 1350ft over 14 miles appeared to be constant climb for 11 miles so roughly 2% not hilly. If the same 1350ft of ascent had been mad over 5 ascents of 1 mile each and the rest of your ride flat, then you would still have the same 1350ft over 14 miles but then I would have classed it as a bit hilly. No offence
No offence taken - the day i get offended by the opinion of someone i have never met on an open forum, is the day i close my account and give up cycling :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That is an insane amount of going up, my legs could take too much of that.

My legs are wrecked now. I used it as an excuse not to mow the lawns this afternoon

Top Bottom