clip in fun!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mummy3monkeys

One commute in flat ole Norfolk, went well.
Followed by one week holiday in the Yorkshire Dales. 100 miles and 1fall off later, so glad I got them. Our first ride out, my husband chose a very quiet, but very hilly route. Going uphill, I came to a complete standstill, unable to unclip, and off I fell. I then walked down a 16% hill. One wobbly, unhappy wife.

Two rides later, and 80miles, no more accidents, I couldn't quite manage the real steep hills, but confidence gained. Achieved 35mph at fastest.
I will never again complain of hills, they just don't exist here.

Husband rode Buttertubs, I couldn't face it, may be next time. I want to move to Yorkshire. Very sad to be home. Great place to cycle, so glad I was impulsive and bought the pedals/shoes, despite falling off, would have been so much harder without.

13 rider

Guru
Falling off is part of the learning curve :laugh: I may have done it :whistle: .Well done on the hills

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It's the unexpected times which have caught me out more. The vast majority of times I unclip left foot first, but sometimes I do right foot first and have to conciously remember my left foot is still attached, otherise a falling tree impression follows. ^_^

U

User33236

Well done on your ride @Mummy3monkeys

I never really had a problem when I went clipless over a decade ago. I think I was lucky as I didn't have the internet at home then so didn't know it was supposed to be difficult.
I only fell off once when i went clipless. I was stopped at lights with one foot unclipped and over I went!

Problem was everybody was telling me to unclip my left (kerbside) foot as it's 'safer' but it never felt natural. I now unclip right and have had no more issues.

MrDaveCee

Regular
I feel very lucky to live in Yorkshire, there's some great cycling to be done around Here. I went out for my first ride with my clipless set up on Friday and I was on the floor within about an hour, from a standstill. It must've looked hilarious but gladly the group of road workmen ahead didn't see me as I don't think riding past them a few minutes later would've been a quiet and peaceful time.

Mrs A and I have just come back from a trip where we had to ride upright, flat-pedal bikes with huge squashy saddles. We now know why none of those things are nice! Her knees ache from not being properly attached and from slipping around on insecure pedals, her back aches from having to sit upright and the saddle would have been a disaster had she not found a smaller harder one and arranged a swap. And we only did about 200km on these bikes!

I am not so bad, but Mrs A now realises the benefits of a more streamlined and racy position.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Now got to figure out how to do a hill start from standing. Only a little incline yesterday, but couldn't get the momentum going with one foot to get the other foot in. So did some stupid dance walk thing to get to the point where I could.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Now got to figure out how to do a hill start from standing. Only a little incline yesterday, but couldn't get the momentum going with one foot to get the other foot in. So did some stupid dance walk thing to get to the point where I could.

You may find it helpful to be in a lower gear or two than you you might otherwise be for the hill. That way you get more momentum from your first push on the pedal to give you a little more rolling time. If you don't clip in immediately,, the lower gear allows your main pushing leg to continue with the main thrust, while you sort out the other foot.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

You may find it helpful to be in a lower gear or two than you you might otherwise be for the hill. That way you get more momentum from your first push on the pedal to give you a little more rolling time. If you don't clip in immediately,, the lower gear allows your main pushing leg to continue with the main thrust, while you sort out the other foot.

Thank you, will give that a try next time it happens :smile:

robbo891

I fell of so much i became really good at it!! The SPD-SLs i had were a nightmare to get out of. I switched to SPDs and the difference was unreal. Emergencies, last minute clip outs are a doddle. just remember each fall makes you stronger ; )

Top Bottom