Clip on Aero Bars for Audax/Long Days on the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My imagination has been wandering again. It’s always nice to be a bit quicker, but on long rides it’s important to be comfortable. I spend quite a bit of time on the drops in relative comfort as I do on the hoods. I rarely use the tops. In general I have a very comfortable set up. That may be down to my own core strength or general fitness. I don’t know.

Now the imagination bit (and because I fancy trying something new): I have been daydreaming about clip on aero bars. Priority comfort. Speed secondary. Audax is my interest. I think I can get hold of a Profile Design Century ZB for between £30 and £40. The straight bars don’t suit due to broken wrist and fractured elbow issues. The J Bend are price restrictive but fit my anatomy.

Anyone have any thoughts or even possible clip ons to sell?

ACB90808-8FE8-4899-A47B-AAACD42B59A4.jpeg

Sharky

Guru
I use those very ones. Very comfortable. But need to get the height right. If you are comfortable on the drops, position arm rests so that your shoulders are at the same height as they were with your drop position.

Worth trying

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Aerobars are great for saving a bit of energy and relieving numbness - I had the very ones in your picture but opted for some J bends which suit me well. They take a bit of getting used to and I felt very vulnerable when I first used mine in anger at the end of last year, but you'll get used to them.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks very much for the extra info. I do like the idea I can relieve some of the discomfort from my hands and arms. I managed to snap the ‘balls’ off my ulna and radius in a motor cycle accident years ago. It’s only in the cold it comes back to haunt me. I also fractured my elbow while throwing a javelin. That’s really just mild discomfort and a bit of a click occasionally that seems to lock the joint up a bit.

I see aero bars as a bit of swish-sofa-tech rather than TT performance but I’m sure I can pinch a little bit of speed from using them. Head winds might be less excruciating.

si_c

Guru
I've started playing with them the last week or so. Used them on a century ride last weekend, and they added an extra bit of comfort by giving me more positions to sit in. I had pretty much no lower back ache for example, despite it being the first properly long ride of the year (50km was the longest since October).

Can definitely feel it in headwinds, a touch less effort than the drops, but it adds up over distance.

They do take a bit of getting used to, especially transitioning from one to the other, and moving from the extensions to the goods, I feel like my arms are 20ft wide.

huwsparky

Über Member
Check to see if you are allowed to use aero bars in Audax events.
Yes, you're allowed.

Top Bottom