Clip - on mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butty1972

I have bought a lovely gorgeous bike, which is great, but doesn't have any mudguard fitting points.
I'd like to make the most of it even in damp weather, and was recommended some BBB clip on mudguards. They looked ideal, but sadly the brackets which fit under the top of the front fork and under the rear brake calliper aren't long enough, or rather the 'dip' in them doesn't clear the frame or the calliper at the rear.
So, can anyone recommend some clip on style mudguards which have greater clearance for carbon forks and 105 5800 rear callipers?

Thanks.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
SKS Race Blades

crazyjoe101

In a choice between the SKS Raceblade Longs and the Cruds go for the SKS, they are worth the extra money. Some duct tape under the connections between supports, guard and frame can stiffen them too.

loughgill

I'm piggybacking on the thread as looking for similar advice.
I have read a few places that the SKS Raceblades are the best, but I have one question. The Raceblades are advertised for tyres up to 23mm. I'm running 25mm on my Boardman Road Comp at the moment. Does this mean the Raceblades wouldn't fit? Probably a silly question but not sure if they only say 23mm as that's the standard racer tyre to distinguish from wider tyres of hybrids, or if 23 is really the absolute maximum that they will fit.
The next size up seems to be for normal size hybrid tyres so I thought they would be too big/bulky.
I think unlike in the case of the poster above, my Boardman Road Comp might also take ordinary mudguards and these are a good bit cheaper, but would it be better to go for one of the brands mentioned above so that they can be clipped on and off more easily when not needed? (I'm not very skilled when it comes to these things).

ScottyB

Crud Roadracers are AMAZING - I absolutely love mine. A bit fiddly to fit but there is a great video on their website and once fitted you will never look back.

I also owned some SKS Raceblades and hated them so much, they slipped down the seatstays and rubbed the tyre all the time.

100% go with the Roadracers!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm piggybacking on the thread as looking for similar advice.
I have read a few places that the SKS Raceblades are the best, but I have one question. The Raceblades are advertised for tyres up to 23mm. I'm running 25mm on my Boardman Road Comp at the moment. Does this mean the Raceblades wouldn't fit? Probably a silly question but not sure if they only say 23mm as that's the standard racer tyre to distinguish from wider tyres of hybrids, or if 23 is really the absolute maximum that they will fit.
The next size up seems to be for normal size hybrid tyres so I thought they would be too big/bulky.
I think unlike in the case of the poster above, my Boardman Road Comp might also take ordinary mudguards and these are a good bit cheaper, but would it be better to go for one of the brands mentioned above so that they can be clipped on and off more easily when not needed? (I'm not very skilled when it comes to these things).
Dunno mate, mine are on 23's and it is tight with the cruds, I'm sure some others have fitted them ( or tried to) to 25's, maybe they will be along soon.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Crudguards IMO are rubbish, don`t last a winter of everyday commuting for me, on my second set the issue for me is the sticky pads which keep them central, mine never stay on. Next winter commuter will have room for proper guards, there is no subsitute. Race blades are from a colleauges experience just as bad, his broke after a couple of rides. These were the full length ones mind, the clip on ones which cover only part of the wheel may fair better and those are what I may invest in next until i buy another bike.

Top Bottom