Your Pedal Choice for Commuting is...

• Clipless

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Flats + Toeclips

• Flats only

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been clipless for years.

Tynan

Veteran
clipless, no brainer if you can afford it I reckon

I do no end of lights, clipping in and out is no bother at all once you're used to it

granted you don't want to be doing any serious walking at the end, my mtb shoes are slightly ok for that

we must be a very serious section of the commuters, I don;t see that many clipless commuters,, not that many toe clips either, I reckon 75% are bog standard pedals

mind you my half decent pedals and shoes set me back most of £100 so I can see why the average commuter doesn't

PrettyboyTim

I still use toe clips, although I don't tend to tighten them. As a result they're not that good at pulling the pedal upwards, but I do like them for keeping my foot in place, especially over speed bumps.

U

User482

I use clipless MTB pedals & shoes. Shimano MT51s are comfortable enough to walk in, and smart enough to wear around the office. That said, I keep a pair of smart shoes under my desk.

Ranger

I think this has been said, bit I want to check before taking the plunge. If I have a set of the M324 type pedal can I still use the flat side in a pair of cleated shoes for the bits with loads of traffic lights?

Tetedelacourse

I'm clipless, Shimano SPD-SL which is probably the worst type of peddle for commuting (bought without proper research) but within a week I'd mastered them and they are sooooooo comfy I wouldn't use any other. The waddle to my desk is a bit silly but then so is lycra and that hasn't stopped me.

Definitely go clipless. You will definitely fall over at some point, but will almost instantly see the light.

Double sided Time Atacs

Tynan

Veteran
I never fell, although I had some very very close escapes over quite a long period before getting completely ok, saved mostly be the pedals being conducive to an emergency yank of the leg in the final throes

I almost totalled a line of people on the L2B, the chap next to me reckons he'd have caught me, I don't think he would, I was 17st back then ...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Iv'e been clipless for a few years now and would not go back to toe clips. i saw a woman yesterday out with her husband/friend? who accelerated away from some traffic lights and her foot slipped off the pedal and she landed on the crossbar hurting her nether region. Fortunately she didn't come off the bike but did a massive wobble before coming to a halt. It must of hurt as she had to get off the bike and was visibly in pain. My point being that it wouldn't of happened if she had gone clipless. She was alright after a few minuits and managed to get back on the bike and carry on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, I've done that whilst trying to stand on the pedals and clip in at the same time. Sometimes riding a fixed wheel can make you overly ambitious!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look Delta's (the older ones) on both Road bikes, and MTB SPD's on the commuter - highly recommend double sided spd's as you can just pedal off easilt then click your foot in. Most useful for lots of starts and stops, and when you have a bit of a walk from bike to office.

Long distance commutes and less traffic lights, then it would be my Looks.

BentMikey said:
Oooh, I've done that whilst trying to stand on the pedals and clip in at the same time. Sometimes riding a fixed wheel can make you overly ambitious!

:blush:I've done some like that too with SPD-SL (especially when my shoes were new) but not SPD's touch wood. Usually it happened when I thought I was clipped in but had missed. Before I went clipless I had titanium cages on and sometimes when wet my foot would slide off the back and and somehow the pedal would hit my shins, ouch :biggrin:.

Top Bottom